Chapter 37

I stood in the shower, letting the ice cold water wash over my body. I'm in shock.

'How could this have happened?'

I stared at the shower drain, as the red water swirled down into the pipes.

'It's his blood.'

I washed off my face, and my hair. I stopped the water, and got out. I grabbed my suit, the match box on the table, and the baby oil from under the bathroom sink. With a towel in hand, I stood on the toilet, and stuffed it in the smoke detector. Once it was plugged, I threw my bloody suit in the wet tub and poured the baby oil on it. I struck a match, watching as the small flame lapped upwards.

Surviving only on the oxygen that's in the room, it sucked it up like an animal that hadn't seen water in days. I tossed it on the suit, and watched the flames engulf the oiled up suit. I watched it grow bigger and bigger until my face stung from the heat. I stood back, and waited until my suit was in ashes.

Once my suit was incinerated, I ran the cold water and washed it down the drain. I kept running the water, until I hear a single knock on my door. In that instant, I knew it was her, coming to talk about what has happened.

I took a deep breath as I stood before the door. She knocked again, a single soft knock that only she uses. I took another breath as I reached for the doorknob, and opened the door.