Chapter 26

My surroundings were laced with the cries of pain and death. Howls of fury and agony cut through the air like a heated blade. I suddenly had an enemy at my side. Except I knew this enemy all too well. Tall figure with shaggy brown hair and green eyes, I found myself staring into the eyes of Asher. His hands ablaze with flames and mine sheathed in sharp ice. We circled once before he made the first advance on me, I blocked him with a wall of solid ice. He melted the ice faster than a coiled snake and I was forced to take my advance.

I spun to avoid his attack, and shot seven spikes of ice his way. Two hit is right arm, one in the chest, one in the gut, and three in his legs. Not one missed, but he kept fighting like nothing happened. His lips move like he was speaking but no words came out. He threw one giant flame my way, I didn't dodge this one this time. With a sudden burst of heat, the flame skinned my upper arm. I fell to my knees.

Asher ran towards me with fire in his hands, I stayed on my knees. He was about half-a-foot away from me when I formed an ice spear and ran him through the heart. He stayed at the end on my spear, his blood running down it and onto my hands. He was choking on his blood when I deformed the spear back to the snow. He fell to the snowy ground, his blood turning the snow ruby red. I stood over him, He wasn't going to survive, this I knew. I knelt down to him, forming a dagger in my hand, murmured something into his ear, and slit his throat.

"NO!" I screamed, sitting back straight in my bed. An alarm blared on the base.

"Wake up, time to start the new routine!" It said. I looked at the projected clock on the ceiling.

4:00 AM. It flashed.

"Stupid routine, getting up at freaking 4 AM...Who wakes up that early?!" I said.

"We do, from now on apparently." Annabeth said, sarcasm lacing every word.

I chuckled at her, Annabeth glared at me. "I'm not a morning person."

"You are from now on apparently" I said to her.

She glared one more time before she went into the bathroom. I walked to the closet, and was shocked when I saw suits with my name sewn onto them. Private Becca Stern they said. I smirked, they will have to change that when I take on Toby's name. What Macy said flashed in my mind, "You become full mates when you carry his child". I shivered, I really didn't want children because of the screwed up world we live in. But maybe when GoveCore falls, I might consider it. I hadn't even talked to Toby about kids, if it doesn't cross his mind there is no need to bring it up.

Macy stirs in her couch-bed, I walk to her and wake her.

"Macy, Macy it's time to wake up." I said.

"Hmm?"

"Wake up, Macy." I said sternly.

She sat up and stretched as Annabeth come out of the bathroom. I quickly grabbed my new suit and walked to the bathroom. I gasped when I saw myself in the mirror. My hair was still blonde from Annabeth dying it, but it was a totally different look. I striped from my nightgown and stepped into the suit. I used the mirror to see the back so that I may zip it. My eyes wondered to my scarred back. They weren't blood red anymore, and I had my stitches taken out three days ago. In all honest opinion, the stitches didn't make them any better, it just kept them closed so that they would heal faster. Same for my arms, but they healed better than my back. I hate how self aware I am of my arms. It looks like at one point I was a cutter. But I never had depression problems.

I zipped my suit and moved to fix my hair. I brushed it, then dutch braided it.  I opened the door and let Macy have her turn.

"All Privates report to the surface!" The speaker said.

We did as we were told and walked to the nearest elevator to go to the surface. It was a silent ride with twelve people on board. We couldn't have made it to the surface soon enough. As soon as the winters cold wind swept into the elevator I regretted not bringing a cover up or a jacket.  We were directed to a standing position and waited for the rest of the Privates to file out. After everyone was on the surface, the General walked out.

"Alright Privates! Every morning from now on, this will be the routine! One mile run for the Bios, and two miles for the Betas! Before we get going, all Private and Betas will be required to have a ComChip. This will allow us to see how your body functions while you're being active, it will also let you know when your mile or miles are done."

Men in white suits shuffled through the crowd, giving each person a ComChip in their arms. The doctors were shuffling closer and closer to me and I grew increasingly anxious. I hate needles with a passion. Two arms slip around my hips. My heart seemed to stop when he kissed my neck.

"Dang it Toby." I said, breathing heavily out my nose.

"I have a way with actions." He said.

The doctors came to me now an I stiffened. Toby kissed me again. I didn't even know the doctor gave me my ComChip.

"I love you Becca."

"I love you too, Toby." I said turning in his arms.

"Alright! Everyone has their ComChips, Betas, you get to change forms. That's why you get two miles. Okay, everyone is ready...set...go!!"

We ran.