Chapter 7

Becca's P.O.V

I'm awake now. I didn't see Adrian, Rowan, Raya or Madallaine again.

'I don't understand, Adrian said they wanted to mentor me. So why didn't they meet me again?'
I remember when I woke last time, Asher was guarding, but now Braxton was on guard. The sun was just beginning to rise over the frozen land we stayed. I gazed outside the window and watched as the sun climbed higher and higher. It's gentle rays bounced off the frosted ground, reflecting each and every flake of snow. From my point of view, it looked like a vast span of tiny diamonds, reflecting the light that shines on them. I was mesmerized. I can't remember the last time I was able to stop and look at the beautiful land that surrounded me. Braxton turned and saw me.
"Good morning Becca." He said.
"Good morning." I replied getting up.
My stomach growled loudly and I saw Braxton's lip curl into a smile.
"It's not funny." I said playfully.
Braxton only chuckled.
"So, what are we eating?" Braxton asked.
"Um, I don't know. I have only see that wolf, I haven't seen any other source of food." I said.
"What about a river or a lake that is frozen over? Do you think you could sense that?" Braxton asked.
"Um, yes. I guess if I tried, I may be able to sense it." I said.
"Ok, let's go see if we can find a river." Braxton said.
"How are going to get out?" Braxton had a moment of thought.
"I can freeze the rock over until it cracks." I suggested.
"It's all we've got right now." He said.
I summoned water from my feet an moved it over the rock. I cringed my fingertips and the water turned to ice. I kept contracting my fingers until the rock split in two. Braxton and I slipped through the crack, and I refroze the crack. Asher would know that we got out, either by the frozen rock or us not being in the tent. Braxton and I walked maybe twenty feet before I stopped.
"What?" He asked.
"There's a river under here," I said.

I could feel it. Water rushing, twisting and turning. Forever trying to find its own peace. But I can see, this river eventually runs into the the ocean. This river is full of fish, fat fish. I knelt on the ground and brushed the newly laid snow away. The ice was thick, but clear. I can see the river now, it's fast-flowing, and I keep seeing flecks go by. Fish! There are plenty of fish! I jump up excitedly. I motioned for Braxton to step back, he did so. I closed my eyes and split the ice. A nice clean split, right across the deepest part of the river where the eddies danced slowly on the surface. I watched while the first two fish swam by. I caught the third in a water bubble and brought it to shore. I pushed the fish out of the bubble and Braxton cooked it. Together, we ate it hungrily. I caught three more fish and I took it back to the tent where I cooked it over a flame. Asher was still asleep, so I froze the fish and set it aside for when he wakes up.
"Becca," Braxton said.
"Yes?"
"Have you made up your mind?" He asked.
"About what?"
"Callum's father? Have you decided who it will be?"
"Braxton, I...I am raising Callum as my son. It's for the best. I...I don't plan on him having a father." I said.
"And when he is older? What will you tell him then?" Braxton asked.
I was about to reply when I hear a soft mumble.

"Mommy, Mommy!" I whipped around and saw Callum sitting up, playing with the blanket that swaddled him just last night but now was barley able to wrap him.

I rushed to him and swiped him up. He was at least 15 pounds now, and wasn't the little baby he was last night. His light blond hair has turned brown, and his blue eyes were now emerald green.
"What happened?!" I asked.
"It seems as though he aged two years in twenty minutes." Braxton said.
"Do you think this might have anything to do with him having Bio's as parents?" I asked.
"Maybe. It may be a sign that he has powers or if he is half or all Bio." Braxton said.
"But being a Bio you don't age fast." I argued.
"Not that we've seen." Braxton corrected. "It doesn't mean there aren't some Bio's that age rapidly and then stop. Callum may be one of those Bio's." Braxton said.
"Ok, but you said he wouldn't show signs as a Bio for two weeks. It's only been two days." I said.
Braxton's seeing's have never been off or wrong. They can be late or changed, but never off. This scared me. We went through the trouble of trying to feed Callum and in a couple hours he will be three years old.
"Braxton, is everything ok? Do you fell ok? Your seeing's have never been wrong." I said.
"I wasn't wrong!" He snapped.
"Braxton, you said we would be seeing signs of Callum being a Bio in two weeks not two days." I shot back.
"Hmph." He said.
"Bec, me hungy." Callum said tugging on my shirt even though I was holding him in my hip.
"Ok baby. Whatcha want? We have milk, we have some fish, we have..." I was drawn a-blank now. We only had milk and fish.
'Go outside Becca. There will be a tree there. Tell it what fruit you want, and it will produce it. When you move camp, take the sapling that it drops, and it will live as long as you need food.' I heard Madallaine's familiar voice in my head.
"Let's go outside, it's a little hot in here." I said. This was the perfect excuse for going out. I held Callum on my hip, and walked out of the tent. Sure enough, there was the tree behind our tent.
"What do you want Callum?" I asked him.
"Pomegranate!" He said. The tree soon produced two pomegranates, which I picked and took back into the tent. Braxton looked at me sideways.
"Where did you get those pomegranates?" He asked.
I panicked, Adrian said I couldn't tell Asher or Braxton about them.
"I...I guess I discovered a new power?" I lied.
"Which would be?" Braxton asked.
"Producing fruits from the earth." I replied shakily.
"Cool! Now we have at least one source of food." Braxton said.
I made a frozen shard form on my finger an I cut the pomegranates. I picked out the meat of the pomegranate for Callum.
"Spit out the seeds Baby." I told him after he ate a few.
"Otay." He said. He ate more and spit the seed out into the ice bowl I formed before him. He missed the first three, but quickly learned mouth-to-bowl coordination.
"He may not be aging at the moment, but you can almost see his mental development." I whispered to Braxton.
"Yes. I saw how quickly he learned how to spit the seeds into the bowl." He replied.
"Did you notice the first word he said was 'Mommy'?" Braxton asked me.
"Yes. But I don't know why he is calling me Mommy. Babies know the difference in their Mother's voices and other women's voices." I said.
"Well, people say Babies bond with the first person they see, no matter if it's their mother or not. You were the first person Cal saw, not Matilda." Braxton said.
"True, true." I said.
'Well now there is no and's, if's, or's or but's. Callum is my son, and if he wants to know the truth, he will get it.'