Chapter 3

Becca's P.O.V

I couldn't believe what Asher told Brax and I. Brody is alive, Booth tracking us, Brody knowing he had a son, Brody's ominous foresight of Booth's death at my hand. All of this within three hours.

"Where did you and Brax go Becca?" Asher asked.
"We found a group of travelers. They were being attacked when we came upon them. We helped them, but they didn't know we had powers, and they rewarded us." Brax said
"With?" Asher asked.
"A canteen of goat's milk, blankets, and some food." I said.
"So then that takes care of feeding Callum. But what about us?" Asher asked.
"We can hunt, and we can gather. Plus we have superhuman abilities." I said, annoyed by their lack of smarts.

I swear, sometimes those two can be the most insolent clodpoles I know. But I don't know what I would be like without them. Beside, Cal will need a father-figure now that Brody is...gone. And I assume I will be his mother-figure since Matilda is dead. But here is the problem, Cal can't have two father-figures. I don't know how much of a father-figure Braxton would be as scatter-brained as he is. Asher would be a good father-figure if I compelled him to be. But otherwise he would just be like an Uncle. I guess he will just have to male-figures to look up to.
Callum shifted and it aroused me from thought. He yawned and opened his beautiful green eyes. He has Brody's eyes. My eyes welled, God I miss Brody.
"Becca, do you want me to get some milk for him?" Asher asked.
"Sure." I said.
Asher got up and left the tent. After three minutes, Braxton followed him out. I was thoroughly perplexed, I am sure Asher doesn't need help getting milk. I listened closely.
"You know Callum will need a father-figure," Asher said.
"It is going to be me." Braxton said.
I was afraid this would happen.
"What makes you think so?" Asher asked.
"I have a better chance at making her happy, Asher. I have the powered to protect her and Callum if something happens to you. What do you bring to the table?" Braxton asked.
"Shelter. You may give her warmth Brax, but I have shelter and I can keep her warm." Asher snapped.
"Fire is better protection than dirt." Braxton spat.
"I don't care what you think. I have known her longer than you, which makes me more of a choice to her." Asher hissed back.
"At least I didn't use her brother to get to her." Braxton said flatly.
I bit down on my tongue so hard I could taste the blood welling from the cut.
"Why you little-"
"Oomph!"
It sounded as though Asher tackled Braxton, and they were now fighting on the frozen ground.
'I have to stop this!'
It took me a minute to put Callum down, make sure he was safe, then make it out the tent. I exited the tent as Braxton's hands burst to flames and Asher summoned rocks to his side. Braxton advanced on Asher, who dodged him smoothly. But Braxton was expecting this, and quickly whipped back and grabbed Asher's upper arm. Asher screamed in agonizing pain as Braxton burnt him. I quickly melted the ice at my feet and threw it at Asher's arm. And before Braxton knew it, I had his feet frozen to the ground and his hands frozen in blocks.
"Enough!" I yelled. "Braxton, what was that?"
"He started it in the first place." Braxton hissed.
"I know, I heard it all." I said walking to Asher who was now laying in the snow.
I knelt down by him and looked at his arm. His shirt was singed through and still burning on the edges. The flesh on his arm was completely singed, and I saw Braxton's hand outline. The burn on Asher's arm was bright red on the outside, slightly darker on the next layer, and dark maroon in the middle. It would scar for life. I made the snow around me melt to water, as sheathed my hands.
"Why does it matter to you if Callum has a father-figure?" I asked as I slid my hands over the burn.
"Because...I wanted it to be me. Ok? Since we lost the connection, I have been looking for a way for us to reconnect. Callum needing a father-figure was what I needed."
"And you are not one bit ashamed of yourself? Of your actions?" I asked.
"No." Asher said.
I stopped healing his arm and stares into his honey eyes. I leaned painfully close to him.
"Not one bit?" I breathed.
"No." He repeated.
"Humph." I said getting up.
I now turned to Braxton, still frozen to the ground. I waved my hand and his feet unfroze.
"Awe come on, why not my hands?" Braxton whined.
"You need to think about what you just did. Honestly Braxton, I feel like I'm scolding a child." I hissed.
Braxton hung his head in shame. I turned to Asher.
"He feels ashamed. Why don't you?" I asked.
Asher just shrugged. I was about to unfreeze Braxton's hands when I heard Callum crying. Panicking, I dashed to the tent. My heart sunk when I reached the tent. A black wolf was standing over Callum, his body language gave hint of his intention. Shoulders hunched over, lips curled into a snarl, he wanted Callum.