Chapter 21

"What do mean you can't read her?" Annabeth asked Payton.

"What do you mean, 'read me'?" I asked.

"Payton has a very unique set of powers, Becca." Annabeth began. "Payton has the ability of mind reading, force field protection, and mind control-"

"Wait, he has all of his powers?" I asked.

"Yes, he is one of the seven people here a Haven that has all their powers. Payton, having the ability of mind reading, can read anyone within a seven foot radius. But for some reason, he is unable to read you." She said, concern in her eyes.

"Someone is already guarding her mind." Payton said, his eyes glazing over.

Oh no, he will find out about Raya! I can't let anyone find out about her!

"Is it someone close?" I asked, trying to distract him from my mind.

"Yes, he is listening to us right now." Payton said.

"Toby." Annabeth said.

Annabeth began to run then she vanished.

She teleported to Toby's cell!

I ran hard, forcing myself to ignore the pain in my back and arms. The hall seemed to go on forever.
Where the halls always this long?
I rounded the corner of the white-walled prison to find Annabeth atop of Toby, pinning him to the floor.

"What did you do to her? What have you done you, jerk!" Annabeth demanded grabbing his shirt.

"Annabeth!" I yelled yanking her off Toby.

Toby began to growl as he shifted into his wolf, and stalked forward. I stepped before Annabeth, who laid in the floor, and stuck my hand out to stop him.

"No." I said sternly, like I was training a puppy. Only this puppy is around one hundred and seventy pounds of muscle and could kill me.

"Annabeth is a friend." I said to him.

Toby relaxed and shifted back into human form, and stood before me.

"I'm sorry, Becca. I shouldn't have lost my temper like that."

"No, you shouldn't have." I said.

"Now, would you care to explain why Payton can't read her?" Annabeth asked calmly.

"It's because your my mate. I guess I should have explained this too you sooner, huh?" He asked innocently.

"Yea, it would've been nice to know." I said.

"When a Beta claims his mate, their mate must except their proposal before the effects of being marked begin. Therefore the effects didn't work until you accepted the proposal."

"And what are the effects?" Payton asked. I jumped forward when he spoke, but Toby stiffened protectively, landing me on his chest.

"He is a friend." I whispered barely audible, but with Toby's heightened hearing, I knew he heard me.

"Please tell me why I am unable to read her mind, Beta Boy." Payton said.