Chapter 28

It only took me about ten minutes before I wasn't screaming or cursing. That was when Brody, Brax, Cal, and Asher gathered around me. I yelled at them to go away. Brax, Brody, and Asher did. Cal stayed. I couldn't hear what he said to Payton, but he let me out of the field. Poppy came and sat on the floor next to me, with Cal. Annabeth had taken Shocky to the doctors so she wasn't here. Payton walked away-probably to see Shocky- and I started daggers at him.

"Please don't be upset with Payton," Poppy pleaded. "He was only trying to save his brother."

"Brother?"

"Shocky and Payton were brought to Haven together. They are such good friends, that everyone just assumes they are brothers." She explained.

I nodded and allowed my eyes to wonder over to Callum. He sat still as stone listening to us.

"Callum, what did you tell Payton?" I asked.

"I told him that it would okay to let you go now." His voice deep and smooth, like talking to an All Father with years of knowledge.

"What if I wasn't ready?" I challenged.

"Don't lie to yourself Becca." He said sternly.

"Okay, okay." Poppy said, putting her hands between us.

"Becca what possessed you to do that?" Poppy asked.

"I'm tired of him. Since day one I knew he would be trouble and I want nothing to do with it." I said.

"Just give him time, he is really nice but can be irritating at times. You'll warm up to him, I promise." She said, placing her cool hand on mine.

The General walked to us now rage on his face.

"Private Stern, I have arranged for you to finish this day with Sergeant Benedict for punishment. It's unacceptable that I have my recruits attacking each other. I have also instructed that Privates Payton and Kyle go with you."

"General Tristan, please," Poppy stood. "Payton was only trying to help. He had to use his powers against her."

"And I think Private Poppy will be joining you as well." He said coldly.

Poppy stood with her mouth agape, shock clearly on her face. Sergeant Benedict march into the cafeteria, his eyes excited.

"Alright maggots! Now I really get to whip you into shape!" He yelled.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sergeant Benedict took us to the surface level and told us to run.

"Run?" Kyle asked.

Sergeant Benedict got right in his face. "I said run you maggot! Run until I say to stop!"

Poppy and I took off, not waiting for the invite to get yelled at. After three laps around the base, Benedict told us to stop while Kyle and Payton ran three more. We now walked to the weight shelves, and grabbed weights. I grabbed the two fifteen pound weights and did some curls. Benedict took Poppy to the pool and made her sit in the freezing water. She shivered violently after a minute.

"Are you cold Private Poppy?! Do I need to knit you a nice warm blanket with my Arthritic hands?"

"No Sir!" She said.

"Well I was just worried about poor Private Poppy getting too cold for a minute. My heart aches for you, little maggot!" She said to her face. Poppy sat silent. A large bell rang and announced they were were free to lunch.

Has it been two hours already? Time flies when your being punished.

I ran to Poppy and yanked her from the pool. She was shivering violently in my arms.

"Let's get you changed." I said.

"N-no it's ok-okay the su-suits self dr-dry." She said, he suit suddenly dry an warm to the touch.

"Oh."

We got on the elevator to go the mess hall, Payton barely caught it.

"Where's Kyle?" Poppy asked him.

"He said he would catch the next one." Payton said.

We began our descent down when I saw Payton snake his hand around her waist. I gawked at him, have they been dating all this time? surely not, no one has spoke of it so they must have just started. Poppy and I got off the elevator, Payton walked another direction, and together we walked to the mess hall. We rounded one of the white walled corners, and saw Kyle and Kia speaking lowly towards each other.

"GovCore wants to make a move now, Kia. They are done sitting around, they want all the Bio's. Tell them the coordinates, or I will take on this mission Solo." Kyle hissed.

"I can betray her like that Kyle, she finally trusts me. I can't earn Becca's trust and then betray her by destroying her home." Kia pleaded.

Kyle got right in Kia's face. "Now you listen here, GovCore wants a job done and by God I will get it done. You volunteered for this mission, and you will finish it, or I will make it a solo mission." He threatened.

Kia swallowed hard, and nodded solemnly. He tapped the Holo on his wrist, and spoke. "Agent 582217 requesting a airstrike on Haven Base. The coordinates are 34 degrees North, 2 degrees South, and Longitude is 75 degrees to the South-East."

Poppy gasped behind me. I whipped around to cover her mouth, fearing that they heard us. I pulled her back two corners so that we would be safe. Poppy began to cry.

"What if Payton is in on this?"

"If Payton was part of the attack he would be with him. I don't think he is." I said.

Poppy fanned her eyes, and breathed heavily. I pulled her to me, and hugged her snugly.

"It's okay." I comforted. "We will tell someone. But not now, we will go to lunch, and act normally. Then we go to the General." I said. Poppy nodded.

We walked to the mess hall and I was stopped by Annabeth.

"Becca I need to talk to you."

"What is it, Annabeth." I asked her, confused.

She paused, hesitant, then breathed, "I have a brother."