Chapter 40

My heart raced as I watched Haven Freedom Fighters chase after Capital jets, firing their guns. The sky suddenly went black as night and thunder echoed in the air. Lightning struck down one of the Capital jets shooting down one of the Freedom Fighter. I stepped out into the dark and instantly felt ready.

"Lacy, find Brody and Cal. Stay with them." I said.

Lacy nodded and took off to find them. I turned to Rhett.

"Stay with Annabeth."

He nodded.

"Maria, Sawyer, stay with the trips." I said.

"Alpha, who will fight by your side?" Sawyer asked.

"I will." Kia said.

Sawyer nodded and ran off with Maria. In the dark distance, I saw a Capital Hover landing. Lightning struck the Hover and it exploded into flames. Suddenly two more Hovers landed, Betas and troop rushing from them. A hand was suddenly on my shoulder. I whipped around to see Annabeth and Rhett.

"Becca, can you make an ice shield to keep them busy for a moment longer?"

I nodded and focused on the ice before them, and put a twelve foot tall ice barrier all around Haven. It was thick from what I could see, it would take them a little longer to break through it. Annabeth thanked me and took off with Rhett on her heels. Suddenly, Capital Hovers stopped mid-air and dropped ropes. My heart stopped.

"They're dropping troops! Cut the ropes!" I yelled.

Kia began throwing flames at the ropes and I threw ice shards, smiling when the ropes fell to the ground. Suddenly a bullet grazed my arm. I screamed.

"Son of a-" I gripped my arm, ignoring the pain as I looked behind me.

Troops had dropped from another Hover while we were distracted with first, and now a hundred troops stormed towards the front lines. I stood and let go of my arm, summoning water at my hands. Kia pulled his 9-mil and aimed form the troops. I lowered his arm.

"Saved the bullets for the Betas." I said as I slung my AK-47 around and shot three rounds into the troops. Maybe twenty troops fell, drawing attention to Kia and I. They ran towards us, guns raised.

From Kia's hands, blackness began to make its way towards them. The troops were not alarmed by this and kept running. Even as some were left in a pile of black dust. They began to shoot and bullets whizzed by us. I grabbed Kia's arm and jumped through the shadows, landing behind them. The troops spun on their heels and began to shoot more.

Furious, I thrust my hands forward and made the whole first row bend backwards. In a split second, the whole front row was dead because I snapped their backs. That's when the troops stopped. I took the chance and lifted them from the ground, watching as their legs flailed. I looked away as I snapped their neck a with ease.

"Betas!" Kia yelled as he grabbed his 9-mil and killed two Betas that ran at him.

I aimed my 47 at the troops and emptied the rest of the clip on them. About thirty fell before the Betas came after us. I grabbed Kia's hand and we jumped through shadows. We ended up on the other side of the base. Brody, Beck, Callum, and Annabeth were fighting Betas. I scream echoed as a Beta bit down on Paris's throat, killing her.

"No!" I yelled running towards the large lion shifter.

He roared at me as I jumped in his back. I gripped onto his mane and began to pull at it. As I fought him, I saw Paris's beautiful face pale and lifeless. I yelled as I put a bullet through his shoulder blades, then stood as he fell to the ground. Kia was behind me in an instant, holding a troop by the throat. His hand grew red and the troop stopped fighting against him. Suddenly, a shadow loomed over him. Quick as a flash, I raised my glock and just before I fired he moved. A troop fell dead to the ground. It happened in a matter of seconds but if felt like ages.