Ch. 32

Sorry I've been gone so long! Writers block + a cold is awful!!

One thing Harry knew for sure was that you never prank a Marauder. After being chased around the house for a while, he was starting to get tired of running.

"Ginny!" He panted, running as hard as he could from his dad. "We need to find a place to hide!" They were running through the backyard, the Burrow in clear view and a sky of clouds above. "Where should we-" He stopped abruptly as his feet left the ground. He clawed the air, writhing as he tried to get free "Ah! Help!" He screamed.

"Shut up, Harry!" He heard Ginny say below him. He looked down and saw her with her wand out, directing him towards the tree. He caught on and reached for the lowest branch, finding his grip and dangling for a second while he caught his breath before scrambling up.

Whipping out his wand, he levitated Ginny up as well, and she sat beside him. "Why didn't you give me a warning?" Harry exclaimed, trying to slow down his heart. He was almost sure that he was being kidnapped.

"Because I wasn't about to go first" Ginny said cheerfully, catching her breath. "Eyes front, soldier" She teased. He rolled his eyes, knowing what she was implying.

They sat in complete silence for a while, listening as James ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Lily was still in hysterics.

"What happened... At the tournament" Ginny said slowly, almost to herself. "I can't remember much..." Her expression was pained. "Those figures..." She blinked a few times before shutting her eyes completely.

Harry was silent for a second before responding carefully. "It was your dream, wasn't it?" He asked slowly. She didn't respond, but the pained look in her eyes was enough for him to reach forward and wrap her into his arms. It wasn't long until he realized she was trembling. He felt the tension in her as she tried desperately not to cry.

"Ginny... You can cry, you know. I wouldn't think anything less of you" He said softly, leaning back slightly as he tried to catch a glimpse of her face. She shook her head stubbornly, her arms slowly twined themselves around his waist and she looked up at him.

"Harry, I could have stopped that. I know I could have. If I had just told someone, if I had given more thought to it" Ginny suddenly pulled from him abruptly, pushing her fingers against her eyes as a futile attempt at stopping the tears from coming. One trickled down her face but she wiped it away so quickly that he almost thought he imagined it.

She was about to hop down, but Harry grabbed her by the waist with one hand and gently behind her neck with the other, forcing her to look at him. Her brown eyes met his with such pain that he almost checked to see if she had scraped herself on the bark.

"Ginny Weasley, it was your fault no more than mine, so stop being so stubborn and get it through your head that there are going to be deaths in this. Sirius said so himself. If we want to survive this, both physically and mentally, you have to listen and know that I will always be beside you" She blinked for a few moments before he continued, "That was the past, and there was nothing you could have done that would've prevented death from coming. We both need to know that we aren't superheroes, we can't save everyone with our power"

Ginny sat there, her eyes shocked. She'd always been the one to provide Harry with wise answers and wrench him out of his moping long enough to convince him that it was alright. Even if it would never be alright.

"That was really insightful, Harry" She said softly, eyes dancing. He smiled, relieved to have stopped her from crying.

"Well, I learned from the best." He leaned closer. "Also, if I ever get distant over something, you now have leverage over me, which might not be good for my future self" He said, wincing slightly. She laughed, bringing him in for a hug.

They sat for a moment, not moving, until they both pulled back at the same moment and started to lean forward. It was a quick kiss, and their first one outside of dream world, but that didn't make it any less amazing.

"Ginny?" Harry asked, leaning his head on top of hers. His back was against the trunk and she had shifted so she was leaning against him. She hummed in response, busy playing with his fingers. "Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked quickly, his courage still being a little small with doubts sprinkled in his mind.

She went still, dropping his fingers and staring ahead. He couldn't feel any emotion from her, and couldn't see her expression, so he panicked, thinking he had over read the situation. But then she twisted around and kissed him again, longer this time, with more emotion.

"Of course, dummy" She beamed, wiping her hair out of her eyes. He grinned and kissed her once more before hopping out of the tree and turning to help her down, even though by the time he did, she was already down. Happiness was coursing through his very being and he entirely forgot about the rabid James that was searching the house for his revenge.

But, that's a story for another time when Harry actually remembered it because afterwards he and Ginny snuck back outside to talk.

Yup. It was a pretty amazing day.