Ch. 66 Questions and Fails

Harry dragged himself from bed, mind whirring as he sniffed unsatisfactorily, glaring at his appearance in the mirror. Ginny had left his side on the couch hours before, supposedly saying that the man wouldn't attack her twice in a short period of time, and he'd dragged himself to his bed.

By now he was seriously considering hauling her into the boy's dormitories so they both could get a good nights sleep, but also knew that Ron would kill him. He'd barely accepted the two sleeping on the couch, Harry didn't want to think of his reaction to finding them in Harry's bed.

Glaring dejectedly at his mirror, Harry sighed and ran his hand over his disheveled features. Bags were under his eyes, probably from how he couldn't get any sleep the night before. He'd gotten so used to having Ginny cuddled into his side that he was starting to become spoiled by it.

With a long huff, he threw on a clean pair of trousers, skimming his hands over the crumpled mess of shirts he had in his drawer. Finally finding one that might've been considered partially decent and only slightly wrinkled, Harry threw his tie over his shoulder.

His eyes lit suddenly, remembering the date. Ginny had been increasingly agitated with him the night before, slipping away before he even got to kiss her. Of course, he knew why. It's taken him days to figure out the perfect way to ask her to the Ball, and at least now he'd figured it out. They had two free periods together today, ones that they would use to walk in the freshly fallen snow.

Harry bounded down the stairs, feeling Ginny's presence in the dorms where she was only half awake. He smiled, plopping onto the couch and resting his hands on his knees, gazing into the fire as he waited.

Ginny came down moments later, talking lowly with Hermione who was looking chipper that morning. Ginny, of course, looked sleepy, but wasn't as irritable as before. She grabbed Harry's hand as he came to stand next to her, and the three of them trekked downstairs.

Surprisingly, Ron was already seated at the table, eating slower than normal, though with slight difficulty. He didn't even have his elbows on the table as his back was straight and he carefully cut each portion of his meal. Harry and Ginny smirked at one another as he helped Hermione into her seat.

They're so together. Ginny sat at the table, watching as Hermione blinked a few times uncertainly at Ron, who had actually wiped his hands on a napkin.

Agreed. Harry smiled, loading his plate.

The abnormal behavior didn't last for long, as Ron tipped over his pumpkin juice as he reached for the butter and it fell into Hermione's lap (testament to how close they had been sitting), which made him turn beet red as he tried to help her clean it up. She, of course, was laughing the entire way through his apology.

///

When free period came, Harry practically dragged his girlfriend towards the Entrance Hall, where kids were filing outside for a snowball fight. Though, of course, he had other plans.

After her nagging about how she was freezing and needed her arm to be able to put her coat on, Harry finally let go and just quickly led the way through the snow. He was so excited, he didn't even watch where he was going, and of course got the wrong footing as he tried to jump over a tree root and he face planted.

Ginny was in stitches as she watched her boyfriend raise his head from the snow, blinking several times from his inability to see, and slowly stood. She took his glasses, wiping them off on her dry cloak as he shook his hair out. She laughed, perching the spectacles on his nose as he brushed off his cloak.

"How romantic," She grinned. Harry glared back, straightening his glasses. "Guess you really fell for me eh?" She chuckled as he rolled his eyes, wrapping his arm around her. ("Blimey, get your soggy arm off of me, Potter!")

The two continued towards the clearing, both practically crying from laughing so hard. Ginny jabbed at Harry's side with her elbow, and he'd just continue to wrap her in his arms. Hey, she was warm and his cloak was still cold even after they dried it off!

When they finally got there, Harry put into place his master plane. He stood Ginny in the middle of the clearing, holding both of her hands as he grinned. She looked him over suspiciously, not sure wether he was about to kiss her or push her into the snow drift.

"Ginny. Will you go to the Yule Ball with me?" Harry asked, still smiling. It wasn't the most romantic way to ask, but at least he had asked. Hey, so what if it was the day before the Ball? She looked him over, biting her lip, and suddenly Harry's confident façade evaporated; leaving him a stuttering pool of anxiety.

"Uh, um, unless you don't want to. I mean, er, I'm not forcing you to say yes or a-anything! I just, really wanted to go with you and I-I understand if you wouldn't want to go to the B-ball with m-me I mean-" She cut him off effectively, smiling against his lips.

"Of course I'll go to the Ball with you, Harry." She whispered. Harry wrapped his arms around her waist, joyous that she hadn't left him hanging there to embarrass himself any longer.

The two stayed like that until the shrieks of kids subsided and it was time for class.