Ch. 72 Cain

There was no light. Everywhere was darkness as Katrin woke up. She felt like she'd been locked in a freezer overnight, which was pretty accurate, and for a second she wondered if she'd lost her eyesight to the cold. But then, with a confused glance, she'd realized that she'd been covered with something.

Pulling off the blanket, Katrin glanced over the woolen material in her hands, pulling it closer to her chin as she figured someone had put it over her. She sighed, glancing around. It was morning, which was obvious, and it was significantly warmer than the night before.

The girl took in a shocked breath as the door rattled in front of her. Instinctively, she grabbed for her wand, but of course it wasn't there. Instead, she hopped up, pressing her back against the wall beside the door. Her heart thumped in her chest as she waited.

The door opened, and Katrin whirled around, grabbing the neck of whoever came through the door and pushing them onto the cold concrete. She fell on top of them, pressing her fingers against their windpipe. The door slammed shut behind her.

When she saw their face, she almost let go. It was him again. His sharp, high cheekbones were a little more defined, and his minty green eyes were sunken into his skull. His brown hair was tangled and long. His face bore absolute confusion. Then he glared at her.

"Katrin." He grunted, unable to say much with her hands pressed against his throat.

"Shut it Cain," Katrin growled, unable to see through the water gathering in her eyes. "What are you doing here?" Cain laughed as much as he could, shaking his head.

"Come on, Katty, I'm just trying to help you." Katrin looked over his sincere face, her eyes narrowed. She noticed the set of clothes he held in his hand. It looked like they consisted of a woolen sweater, he must've liked wool, a pair of jeans, and a pair of tennis shoes. She knew exactly where he'd gotten the Muggle clothes. The back of the shop was always filled with Muggle oddities.

With a heaving sigh, Katrin stood, turning away from his teasing face. Cain placed the clothes on the ground behind her and stepped back out for a second, bringing something else with him. "It's from the Great Hall." He muttered, placing the basket in front of her. "Classes are cancelled, y'know, because they think Gillian is looking for the girl."

"He... He's not looking for them?" Katrin asked conversationally, though her heart had started beating out of her chest.

"They're both safe. For now," Cain answered, pressing his back against the door in a more relaxed manner, he smirked, "Why do you care?"

Heat rose up to her cheeks, and Katrin was glad she was still facing away from him, "I don't. You said 'For now', what's going to happen?" She asked, hoping to change the subject. It was obvious Cain still wanted to tease her on the subject, but he accepted the change. That was one thing Katrin always admired about him. He was so laid back, he could have easily gotten into Hufflepuff, but Gryffindor suited him as well. Katrin always had trouble fitting in at Hufflepuff, she had a quick temper and was easily jealous, but somehow she'd been sorted into that house. The hat said she was steadfast and loyal, which she presumed was pretty accurate, but she was not at all kind or caring like her housemates.

Cain, however, had always had others on his heart. Well, he used to. Now, as he smirked at Katrin, she had trouble distinguishing from the old Cain, and the one who resided under the surface. The one who was possessed.

She missed the Cain that would play with her because she was an outcast from her house. He accepted her. She remembered telling him of all her crushes, and he'd threaten to pound them if they ever hurt her. She couldn't get it out of her head, how she first saw him dropping a potion into Ginny Weasley's drink. She thought he put a love spell on her, but no. Ginny didn't wake for hours, and slowly Katrin noticed how he'd spike the girl's drink at regular intervals. She was scared, scared he'd get the girl hurt and end up expelled.

Katrin's mixed emotions plagued her head from then on. Should she warn Ginny? What about Harry? But she didn't want Cain to be expelled. She needed him there, just like when she was a kid, hiding under her blankets in fear of a thunderstorm and he'd talk her through it the next morning, wrapping her up in his arms and saying it would be okay.

Cain didn't answer her question. And that's when she realized that he'd gone.