Ch. 69 Monotone

Ginny yawned, leaning her head on Harry's arm as the dance wound down. Ron and Hermione were sitting at a table, jabbering on about something, and pretty much everyone else was either gone or snogging in the corner, so The Bonded had the dance floor to themselves.

Ginny looked up at Harry. He had his eyes closed, clearly tired, but also content to have his Bond Mate with him. In half an hour, the ball would be over and Harry and Ginny would be forced to leave.

Trailing his hand down Ginny's forearm towards her hand, Harry's mind was awhirl. Nervousness radiating off of him, he smiled down at her. Ginny's eyebrows scrunched together, but otherwise she didn't say a word as he pulled her out of the Hall.

They walked through the night, Harry helping Ginny with her dress as it kept getting caught on twigs (this caused her to say very colorful things in the direction of the skirt, but Harry ignored the language that would get her a howler from any mother with ears)

They were making their way towards the clearing, Harry holding one big bunch of Ginny's flowing purple dress, and stumbled their way through the trees. The moon light shone on them peacefully, the stars twinkling delightedly.

Harry sat with his back at a tree and Ginny leaned against him, twirling the promise ring on his finger as he used the other hand to play with her hair. They sat in silence for a few moments, Harry gathering the courage to speak and Ginny staring at the stars with eyes that hid as many secrets as the veil over the universe did.

"Gin," Harry said out loud, purposefully avoiding looking her in the eye. His heart hammered against his rib cage, causing his head to throb as he blushed heavily. "I... I..." His throat suddenly became very dry, and he shifted his gaze to where the girl before him sat, staring at him, confused. "I love you." He muttered.

Ginny blinked, a shocked expression covering her usually calm mask. Harry bit the inside of his cheek, worried he'd gone too fast. But instead of being appalled, Ginny recovered her wits and smiled.

"Harry... I love you too." She said truthfully, entwining their fingers together and pressing a soft kiss to his lips. Harry sighed with relief, grinning.

"Good... I mean- um, yeah, good. I thought maybe you didn't think about me th-" Ginny cut him off with a raised eyebrow.

"Harry. I've been head over heels for you since I was eleven. You don't have to worry about that." Harry smiled, wrapping his arms around her again and hugging her close to him. She buried her face in the crook of his neck, taking in his scent with her head in the stars and her feet on earth.

A small twinkle of hope shone through the darkness. A hope that they'd make it through the night. They'd make it through the year. They'd grow up and get married (even though they were already technically married, though they didn't exactly know it) have kids and die peacefully at an impossible age.

But Moody's words bounced in their subconsciousness.

No, they don't die. The one that was left behind now has only half of a broken soul. They become insane, suicidal, desperate for a way to get back to their deceased loved one

///

The girl walked up the steps towards the Common Room, heart pounding and eyes wide. A few feet and she'd be there, she'd sneak in with some passing students, find him, and make him confess. Anything for... She shook the thought out of her mind, hiding in a dip in the wall, back pressed against the hard concrete. Her breath came in short puffs, and she tried to calm herself. Instead, she just scared herself more.

They'll kill you a voice said. A voice Katrin hated. Her own. But she ignored it, pressing her hands into the rough stone before turning and following a passing group of drunk Gryffindors. They reeked of Fire whisky, and she silently wondered how they had smuggled it in, but shook her head.

They opened the portrait, walking in while Katrin shuffled with them, keeping her head down and gaze away from the lady in the portrait that watched her with wary eyes.

She was in. Katrin beamed around at the partially empty Common Room before looking over at the doors on either side of her.

Which was girls and which was boys? She thought angrily, glancing between the two. She caught a glimpse of one of the boys she'd followed in, he was saying goodnight to all his friends and he staggered away, turning into the right doorway, going up the staircase.

Katrin chanced another glance at the remaining Gryffindors, and after deeming them too wasted to notice her, she tiptoed up the staircase, pausing at every landing to look at the sign on the outside. She reached the fourth year dorms and peeked in, breath heavy. No one was in bed but Neville Longbottom, who kept his face buried in the pillow. He had a dreamy smile on his face as he cuddled a pillow.

Katrin sighed, looking around the room once more before stepping in, pacing across the room to where the bed was. A red tie was hanging out of the trunk in front of one of the beds, and Katrin hesitantly opened it. She scoured over it, deeming it to be either Ron's or Harry's. Too many Weasley Wizard Wheezes products, it's Ron's.

She sighed, getting up to go towards the next bed, but before she could a hand clamped over her mouth. Her breath hitched as someone pressed her arms to her sides, their breath at her neck.

"What are you doing here?" It hissed. Katrin immediately knew it was him and shut her eyes. She wanted to speak, but the hand on her mouth made it hard. Plus, if Neville woke up she'd probably be accused of trying to steal. That wouldn't be good.

She'd chosen the wrong dorm. She realized with a jolt. He wasn't in fourth year! She cursed herself, confusing the Gryffindors she knew so well. Well, she didn't know them very well. She'd seen them in the halls, watched them during class, thought about them, talked to them rarely, hated them, you name it. But she'd never been friends with them. This boy, though. The one with his hand on her arms, was the cause of all their problems.

Katrin struggled, but he kept her in his firm grip. She could feel his heart in his chest, and closed her eyes exhaustedly. The monotone voice, the vice like arms, unusual strength and agility. They'd been taken over. They weren't who she knew anymore.

With a swift pull, he pulled the girl out of the room, casting a silencing spell on her, and then muttered something.

Katrin spun into never ending darkness.