Ch. 65 Solving Puzzles and Subtle Realizations

Harry took in a deep breath, trying to calm his heart rate as he and Ginny raced from Defense, ignoring the whispering and stares from everyone they pushed past. They even ignored the fact it was lunch, instead hurrying towards the Gryffindor Common Room.

Ginny raced up the stairs first, eventually making it to the couch where she collapsed. Harry followed, throwing his bag onto the floor as he sat beside her, subconsciously looking over her bruises and scrapes.

I can't believe it... Somethings up with him. Ginny thought, looking towards where Harry had taken her hand and was staring at the golden glow.

So that's our soul. It still felt weird, referring to it as 'their' soul. Some people may think that about their and their girlfriend's house, or maybe even something small like kitchen or bed. But not with these two. They didn't share a kitchen, bed, or house, though Harry hoped one day they would; no, they shared a soul.

Yeah. Ginny sighed, snuggling into Harry's chest as he wrapped his arms around her.

I thought you were dead. I didn't feel anything, just a void. I ran off, not even telling Ron where I was going. Merlin, Ginny, there was so much blood. You had a cut on your head some on your arms, many on your back, all your papers had turned red. They barely brought you back! What the bloody Merlin did you do? Harry's thoughts intensified as he tightened his grip on her.

Ginny reluctantly explained everything, watching Harry's mood change from being slightly mad, to being extremely mad, (at Chimp Dude, mind you), then to guilt.

I was the one that made you stay up last night, talking. Merlin I'm so stupid! He scolded himself, holding his Bond Mate so closely that she could barely move.

It's not your fault, Harry. Don't let me hear you taking the blame for what Chimpy did. Harry wouldn't meet her gaze, but nodded. Now, go get the egg. I know how to solve it.

Seconds later the two stood in front of a tub of water in the boy's dorms, which they'd transfigured. Ginny had had to do it, since Harry still wasn't that great at controlling his magical core, but they figured it out.

"Okay," Ginny muttered to herself, placing the egg in the water, "And, now." She clicked open the lid, automatically picking up on the slight hum that was distorted by the water.

Here, I'll listen. Harry offered. Ginny didn't even bother averting her gaze as he took off his robes and shirt, instead watching as he dipped his head in the water.

He stayed still for a few seconds, then Ginny started to feel the ghost of his aching lungs and tapped his shoulder. He gasped the air, then again tried to listen.

When he finally dried off his face and put his glasses back on, he grinned. It worked. He recalled what it said quickly as Ginny got rid of the tub. She listened intently, thinking over every word.

"Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching ponder this:
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took,
But past an hour- the prospect's black,
To late, it's gone, it won't come back."

The two thought over that for a while, tossing back and forth observations as they brain stormed. Eventually, Ron and Hermione joined. The longer they thought, the closer they got to the answer. Finally, Hermione wrote it all down.

"Okay, so you two are thinking it's got to be on Hogwarts grounds. The only water source here is the Black Lake. To which Ron pointed out there's Merpeople there," She smiled at Ron proudly, "So it's got something to do with the water. They've taken something you will miss, and you've got to recover it in an hour or it'll be gone. So maybe you'll have to search for something in the Black Lake? Which means, of course, you'll have to breathe underwater." Hermione summed up, placing her quill on the coffee table in front of them. The light from the fireplace bounced off the four's faces as they tried not to mention that day's defense class.

"How did you figure the egg out?" Ron suddenly asked, looking confused.

"Katrin." Ginny supplied, looking at Ron and Hermione's shocked looks.

"But... She hates you...." Hermione stuttered.

"I don't think so. She is a Hufflepuff, they're known to be nice. Maybe it's something else..." Ginny countered. Suddenly, understanding came into Hermione's eyes, but she just looked down and changed the subject.

"Right, okay, Ginny, can't you perform a Bubblehead charm?" The girl nodded and Hermione smiled.

"Well that's settled. We better get some sleep, though. Two days till the Ball." Time had gone by so quickly, Harry almost forgot about how close it was. Suddenly he felt nervous as he looked out the window, towards the Black Lake and the unknown beings within it.

Wow, I'm getting so far into this book! Sorry for the short, poorly written chapter. I don't have wifi and I'm trying to go ahead and end this book so I can move on to Something Sweet. There are so many chapters in this that it's almost at 80 parts 😱 including author's notes.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed. I probably won't update tomorrow, but also might... Again, no wifi. I'm sorry 😭.

Peace 🤓
~Mercedes Tyler