Ch. 75 Escape

Above is what I'm imagining Cain and Katrin to look like.

It was completely dark by the time Katrin woke up. Blinking the sleep out of her eyes, she glanced over the room. She'd been in there for, what, two days now? The only way for her to go to the bathroom was when Cain came over and opened a door into a windowless bathroom. It was terribly uncomfortable the rest of the time.

She sniffled, wiping her eyes on her sleeve as she stood, hugging the blanket around her. It'd been getting colder lately, and she'd started having awful coughing spells. Her only company was Cain, and his dark eyes were testament to the freaky possession that took place.

Her throat was raw by now, and she shuffled over to take a drink from the jug of water Cain brought. Her chest felt like it would cave in. Claustrophobia was settling in, and the cold, dark area around her didn't help. Sometimes, she'd have to lay in the middle of the room and stretch away from her corner so that it seemed there was more room.

The door rattled, and Katrin placed the jug of water on the ground, waiting for him to come in with her new supply of food and a trip to the bathroom. But when he walked in, suddenly she realized that wasn't going to happen.

"Cain... What are you doing?" She asked softly, standing and slowly backing away from him. The shadows swept across his sunken features and he groaned, placing his head in his hands. His hair was disheveled as he ran his hand through it.

"Katrin... We have to get you out of here." He whispered, walking forward a few steps. The crazy glint in his eyes scared her, and she backed up quickly. He just continued walking, running a hand across his face before looking her straight in her eyes. His irises were so dark, they had morphed from mint green to forest green. Or maybe that was the light.

"They're going to kill you. You want talk and..." He shook his head, striding to where Katrin stood and placing his hands on her shoulders. She stepped back to quickly, her back smacked against the wall and he pulled back.

Terror was spreading through her stomach. She'd never seen Cain so upset and he paced through the small room, arms crossed. Letting out a shaky breath, Katrin pulled herself away from the wall and took a few steps towards him. No matter what, he was still her big brother. The one she looked up to. As the youngest, at fourteen, Katrin always thought of Cain as towering and strong. But now, as he looked so pale and fragile, Katrin realized that he was just a kid too. Sixteen, and he pretty much raised her while their mother was off looking for new styles for the shop. She hardly ever brought herself out of the world of fashion long enough to really be with her kids.

But Cain was there. He was the one that held her when she was afraid of lightening storms, and played dress up with her while their mother spent long nights at the shop. Their mother loved them, but it took a lot of money to raise two kids and keep a shop running at the same time. That called for a lot of late nights.

Cain turned, looking at Katrin sorrowfully. "They said... They said they'd kill you and mum. I was the only one no one would suspect. I didn't mean to hurt them... I didn't want to hurt them, or you." He took a deep breath and stood straighter, "Now, I'm getting you out of here."

///

She must've looked awful, Katrin suspected. Probably resembled the undead, more than likely smelled like one too. So when they stumbled through the forest line and caught face to face with a first year who screamed and ran off, Katrin probably should have headed back to the castle. But of course, she didn't. She automatically ran to assure the kid that she wasn't going to naw on her brains, and therefore caused quite an uproar when the older kids caught sight of her.

Cain grabbed her elbow forcefully, whirling her around. She met his eyes before they were surrounded by professors who pulled them into the castle, separating the two immediately.

A lump formed in her throat as she saw Snape drag her brother off. He'd get in serious trouble, all because she tried to confront him herself. But no matter what she said, it would only make everything worse for the boy.

So, with a heaving sigh, Katrin let Madam Pomfrey check her over for any serious injuries, and closed her eyes. Thankful for at least a small bit of rest.

///

Ginny and Harry stood by the water, hand in hand as they watched the horizon. Unease spread through them, making it hard to focus, but they managed. After the second task and Katrin's arrival, they were exhausted. But for now, they decided to stand and let the nervous energy drain into the Bond.

They both knew they should be happy Katrin came back. But they also knew that she brought something with her. Or at least, caused everyone to recognize the danger. Whoever took her, whether it be Chimp Man or Voldemort, they were going to come back. After all, the valuable information that both the Bonded and Katrin had was dangerous.

They needed to take in moments of tranquility like this. Because soon, there would no longer be any peace.