Ch. 43 Burn

Haven't read Goblet of Fire in about a year, so Hagrid's lesson is slightly made up for humor. 🤗

Harry stalked off towards Hagrid's hut. Ginny tried to sooth him out of his mood, but he couldn't get his teeth to unclench or his spine to relax. Even Ginny's touch didn't help, as it only made him hate Ron more. One thing Harry was sure of, he wasn't going to let Ron even come near to calling her names again. Whether it be sis or slag.

Harry took off his cloak, the sun beating on his back. Ginny had given up making him feel better and was now staring at the ground as they walked, her fists clenched. Harry stopped, grabbing her wrist.

"Gin, I'm sorry I blew up, but he can't just come up to you and imply you being a..." He couldn't even say the word. It was the exact opposite of Ginny.

"Harry.... Thank you." Harry was surprised. He'd thought she'd yell at him that she could protect herself, but now she was thanking him.

"For... For what?"

"For standing up for me. I thought you'd... Agree with him..." Her voice was small, like she was afraid if she was any louder he'd stomp off to find Ron again. Harry sighed, pulling her close to him and looking straight into her eyes.

"Ginny... I would never agree with him on that. You are the smartest, kindest, and most beautiful girl I've seen in my life. Do not think that he was right. You are not like that." She smiled slightly, grabbing his shirt in her fists.

"Smarter than Hermione?" She asked. Harry laughed, a good hearty laugh that made every last piece of anger drop out of Ginny's mind.

"Way..." And he kissed her. It was short, but made her legs wobbly and she was sure her face was as red as his.

"I'm really liking the whole dating thing." Ginny said with a smile. He grinned, kissing her forehead before taking her hand. Immediately they both felt better and headed down to class.

Hagrid, apparently, was having trouble with these slimy creatures that looked like lobsters without shells. Ginny immediately covered her nose as the smell of rotten flesh hit her. Blast-ended skrewts.

Harry and Ginny had read about Manticores and Fire-crabs before, but Blast-ended Screwts were the offspring, illegal offspring at that, and were terribly temperamental. At this time, the one Hagrid was holding kept shooting sparks and trying to run away.

There were several in the cage, enough for every two people to have one. Harry had a bad feeling about that. He didn't like the toot sound they made when shooting out sparks.

"This year-" toot "We'll be havin a project-" toot "Wif these buggers" toot "You'll be raisin em, see-" toot "whose survives longer" toot. "Gah!" The giant quickly patted out the growing fire on his beard, almost dropping the tooting-shell-less-lobster-creature.

Harry snorted slightly, shaking his head as Hagrid started pairing people. Of course, the Bonded were together. Harry was pretty sure McGonagall had pulled a few strings for all of this.

Ginny stared at their Skrewt through the bars, watching as it kept running around, tooting, which propelled it a few inches every time, and hitting its slimy head against the wall. "How are we supposed to keep this alive?"

"Why do we want to keep it alive." Harry corrected, crouching beside her and watching as the creature went around in circles. Ginny shrugged, glancing at the food Hagrid had placed by each cage.

"Are we supposed to just throw it the food and hope it doesn't light is on fire?" She asked, grabbing the bowl and grimacing at the feed.

"Don't see any other way. I'll distract it, you open the cage and put the bowl in." Harry glanced up at her. She nodded and he made his way to the opposite side of the cage. "Hey boy! Er, girl? Um, tasty flesh right here! C'mere!" He waved his hands around as the creature tooted its way to him. Ginny opened the door and placed the bowl in slowly, careful not to make a sound.

Suddenly, Harry yelped and she dropped the bowl, feeling a fire dance across her arm for a split second. She slammed the door shut as the Skrewt attempted to get to Harry.

The boy was hopping up and down, clutching his forearm. Steam rolled off his cloak, which had been slightly singed. Thankfully, he had his shirt rolled up so it didn't catch on fire.

"Harry!" Ginny exclaimed, running to her Bond mate. He glanced up at her sheepishly and held on tight to his arm. Hagrid was waddling over, telling him to stay calm. "It's fine, Hagrid! I'll take care of this." And she grabbed Harry's arm, placing her hand over it. He sighed in relief as gold light danced across their skin. Soon, it had disappeared into just a small burn.

Ginny lightly rubbed her finger around the edges as it started to shrink. "I think I'll take him to the Common Room, is that alright?" She asked Hagrid, still holding Harry's arm. The giant nodded in awe, waving them off and turning back to class.

"It still hurts..." Harry complained, groaning as she instead took his hand and guided him towards the castle.

"Don't worry. It'll heal."

///

Once again, the two were sitting in the Common Room, Harry's burn almost completely gone as they talked. They tried to avoid the topic of Ron as much as they could, but Ginny still felt tense about that. Her brother had been moved, but the scene still played in her head.

"Gin, you okay?" Harry asked, moving a lock of hair from her eyes. Ginny nodded, laying her hand on his shoulder and watching as the golden aura danced where their skin met. She wondered what it was. She'd never really thought of that.

Don't know either, Gin. She heard Harry say. She glanced at him, slightly upset that he'd been reading her thoughts, but also slightly touched that he'd been that worried about her.

"It's only when our skin is touching." She remarked, tracing her finger around the small scar on his arm from the burn. Harry hummed, laying his head on hers. Suddenly, she had a thought.

"Does it happen when we kiss?" She asked. She'd never really had her eyes open during that. Harry looked down at her.

"We could see." Harry grinned. Ginny rolled her eyes, pushing his face away with a scoff.

"Boys." She shook her head, taking his hand again and waiting for it be time for lunch.

Another update! Woohoo! Not one of my best, but adequate. I didn't know how to end it, so instead of waiting for the idea to hit me I just left it as is. No cliff hangers!