CHAPTER THREE

Dedicated to my sister for nagging me to update. :p you get one before your hols end.

That night, I pulled out a book which had long ago gathered dust. It was a scrap book of me and her. Memories that I avoided to unfold at all costs for many years, but today, it felt like the right thing to do.

The book was made by the two of us, A few months before she had gone missing. People may find it ridiculous that I was still in love with my childhood best friend but somethings just never seem to let go, one such thing was Sophia's embrald green eyes, eyes which were deeper than any sea.

Like any other eight year old she was filled to the brim with happiness, joy and kindness. Her strength unwavering and she had the strongest of intentions, she was never one to back down from something she had to do,however it was difficult for her to attain, she never gave up.

I opened the book and the sight of all of us at a beach in Miami met my eyes. Six year old Sophia had her little arms wrapped around my waist because she thought she had seen a crab. Her lips were turned to a scowl and it brought a faint smile to my lips.

Dad had his arms around mom, and Uncle Edward had his hands on Aunt Maya's shoulders. Adel stood on the other side of Sophia looking at her in amusement, a ghost of a smile on his lips. Those were perfect days.

I turned around the page and found one with Sophia poking her tongue out at me,it was the first picture I had taken with the digital camera my mother had gifted me.

The next was of the three of us. Sophia and Adel were hiding behind a bush as I searched for them on the other side.

I kept flipping the pages,Every memory playing out in my mind as if it was only yesterday though the truth was it had been twelve years.

Twelve years since I had last seen my best friend. Twelve years of still hoping that she was alive.

I closed the book and put it back in my bedside drawer. I fell into a restless sleep after that. Haunted by a pair of embrald green eyes filled with hope.

****************

"Why do you need a bike Adel?" I heard my mom questioning Adel as I stepped into the kitchen.

"Because it's cool?" My brother answered hopeful.

"No, it's not cool. You recently bought a sports car Adel,The one you whined for last year. You didn't let us be at peace till you got the thing. Not only that but all your God knows how many cars you have in total, what's the need of a bike?" My mom was strangely afraid of letting us have our own bikes. She believed that bikes were more prone to accidents than cars. Don't ask why,I still haven't figured it out.

My brother tried to pout but it looked like he was constipated, the look had me chuckling making me the target of my brothers glare.

"You didn't even fight for a bike even though you wanted it just as badly." Was my brother retort to which I shrugged.

"I didn't want keep mom on her toes,it made her anxious. I didn't want to answer her call every ten minutes asking if I was fine." That seemed to have shut Adel.

"Mom,I think I'll just take Ashar's car." He said looking solemnly at mom.

In his dreams.

"Ashàr you know how much your brother adores your car,there's nothing wrong with letting him borrow it, you can take the others if need be." Mom interjected,I looked at Adel to find him grinning with triumph at me.

"He has three cars of his own,why does he need mine?" I raised an eyebrow at her to which she only shrugged. "He's my youngest son" she countered.

"I am your eldest son." I implied to be interrupted by Adel. "I am her favourite son" he said wriggling his eyebrows In a funny way.

I sighed as I exchanged my Ferrari
keys with Adel's Aston Martin keys.

Hoping that he would be careful with my car I headed to office.

Our main office was a sky scarper. A fourty floor building with the best interiors. Not only that, it had many amenities for our employees. It had a play area with staff for working mother who couldn't leave their kids at home, There was a gym, Rooms where they could rest, Cafeteria where the best free food was served for breakfast,lunch and dinner. There even was a gaming room.A doctor was available 24/7 for any emergency. It even had a few swimming pools where the employees rushed to at their free hours.

My father had thought everything for the comfort of his employees. Every one liked to work here and no one ever shifted their loyalties else where. My father was a kind man, helping anyone and everyone in need. All they had to do was ask.

Obviously as his son,people had high expectations of me. My father was the third richest man in the world and the most kind employer. Not once had I ever heard anyone disrespecting or mocking him. Being his sons Adel and I got utmost respect.

The amenities were found not only in our main building but at all our companies which spread all over the world. The 'Abdullah family' was a known name around the world nor only for its royalty but also for its business and kindness.

I only hoped that I would never disappoint those who had high expectations of me. I worked hard and I always won.

I only hoped that I was a good and kind man like my father some day.

I hoped that, I would change lives someday the way my father influenced so many lives, working and earning only to make underprivileged lives, priveleged.

******************