13. Recovery

It's been a few weeks since my injury first happened. Donatello had allowed me to move around, not too much, but I was allowed to move.

I felt like Bruce Wayne because Raphael was my Alfred! Even though I was fully capable of doing simple every day things, Raph insisted he would; get me a drink, grab my phone, get me some food. Everything! It was kinda cute though.

The one person I hadn't seen yet, was Casey. . . As well as April. . . But Casey!

I was on my new T-phone that Donnie had made for me. I was reading a Spider-Man comic that I'd downloaded.

Mikey appeared in the room and jumped down on the couch next to me. "What are you doin Cassie?!" Mikey shouted whilst wrapping an arm around my shoulder, rather roughly. I shut my eyes closed and sat there silently trying to contain my cries of pain. I could feel Mikey staring at me quizzically.

Suddenly he realised what he'd just done, he rapidly whipped his arm back by his side. "Hehe uhhh sorry Cassandra." He apologised. I reopened my eyes and started taking long, deep breathes. "It's ok." I breathed out.

"I'm reading a Spider-Man comic." I answered his first question. "Cool! Is Spider-Man your favourite?" He questioned joyously. "Yeh. He'd probably have to be." I replied back smiling at my comic. "Well my-" Mikey began but was cut off.

"Spider-Man's your favourite?!" Raph yelled from the kitchen. I slightly turned my head and nodded at him. "Hah! Why? He ain't the best. We all know who the best is." Raph snickered as he sat on the floor in front of me. "And who would that be?" I asked. ". . . BATMAN!!" Raph cheered. "Batman's pretty good. But, I don't know. He doesn't have any powers." I replied back. "Uhhh, who said you need powers to be AWESOME!!" He snickered whilst gesturing to himself. "Haha, yeh Batman is pretty cool, but I'll stick with Spider-Man." I laughed.

"Ahem! As I was saying before Raph so rudely interrupted mwah!" Mikey started. "I think Flash is the best! He's super fast and funny! Just. Like. Me." Mikey fist pumped the air. Raph rolled his eyes while I laughed.

Leonardo and Donatello entered the lounge room from the lab. "What're you guys talking about?" Leo asked sitting next to Raphael on the floor. "Talking about our favourite superheroes." I explained as Donnie sat down next to me.

"My favourites probably The Hulk. Bruce is a really smart nerd and all but strong." Donnie admitted. We all looked at Leo waiting for his favourite. "Well obviously Captain Ryan's the best, but if we're talking about DC and Marvel. Hmm, I'd probably go with. . . Captain America." He finally said. Typical, leader of the team chooses the leader of the Avengers. I chuckled at his choice.

We were silent for a while.

"Well!! Batman can kick all of your heroes asses!" Raph said smugly. We all laughed together. Suddenly I heard the turnstiles turn around, as if someone were entering the lair.

It was April.

I noticed Donnie tense up and look at the ground. I nudged him gently and he rapidly looked at me. His eyes showed nothing but nervousness. I smiled gently at him and nodded slowly, indicating it was ok. "Just be yourself." I whispered to him. He took a deep breath and nodded back, smiling.

April walked closer towards us and OH what do you know! Who follows close behind? Casey!

Once he saw me he nervously rubbed the back of his neck and followed April. April sat near Donnie and I and Casey sat next to April. My eyes never left Casey.

"Hey guys!" April greeted. "Hey April." The guys replied back. "Hey. . . Casey." Raph said displaying his still fresh and new hatred towards Casey.

"Look guys I'm really sorry about the thing. It was an accident. It won't happen again." Casey pleaded. "You better hope it doesn't happen again!" I replied back. And with that I raised a hand in front of me and slowly lifted my hand.

Eventually Casey realised what I was doing. "Ahhh Ahhh stop! It hurts!!!" He pleaded. All the guys were laughing their shells off. Eventually I got bored and released him. "Argh! You just gave me an air wedgie!" He shouted at me. "Oh, would you prefer I hit a hockey puck at you and broke one of your ribs?!" I asked sarcastically, obviously still pissed at him. I heard Donnie chuckle from beside me. "Ooooooo!!" Leo, Raph and Mikey said in unison. Casey sat back crossing his arms. "I'm sorry!" He muttered. That'll do for now.

"I'm gonna get a drink." April said and got up to head to the kitchen. Casey followed behind her.

Once they'd left Donnie let out a big sigh. I looked at him. "Why don't you ask her to hang out tonight? Maybe you guys can go out on patrol." I suggested. "Yeh ok. I will!" Donnie said, gathering up his confidence. He jumped up and headed to the kitchen.

I slowly turned around, careful not to hurt my rib too much. I was now facing the kitchen, watching Donnie make his move.

"H-hey April." He started. She turned to face Donnie. "I was wondering, do you wanna come out with me. . . On patrol! Tonight." He nervously asked. April screwed her face up a little bit. "Oh um sorry Donnie, I'm gonna be at the Hockey rink with Casey tonight. I um, can't come. Sorry Donnie." She replied back stuttering every now and then. Donnie looked downwards sadly. "That's, that's ok." He said and walked into his lab. I looked further, behind April. I saw Casey lean against the counter, arms crossed wearing a smirk. My blood boiled! I could punch his lights out right now!

I felt really bad for Donnie, partly because he got rejected in front of Casey! And cause I kinda embarrassed him. . . In front of Casey!

I slowly picked myself up off the couch hovering over the ground and into the lab. I entered and sat down on the medical table.

"Don, I'm really sorry." I apologised. He turned from his computer to look at me. "It's not your fault. Not at all Cas. Thanks." He said sincerely. I smiled at him. It really ticked me off. Why would April be so hesitant to get closer to Donnie? It can't be because of that moron Casey! I mean there is NOTHING there, nothing. Donatello's sweet and cute and generous and kind and smart. What's not to love. Perhaps it's cause he's a turtle? Surely Donnie could figure something out along the way, if their relationship ever became more. . . If ya know what I mean.

I don't know.

But. Something April said, no, the way she said it. It wasn't convincing. Well, I wasn't convinced. Maybe it was just me.

"Can I run another scan on your ribs please? They should be much better by now." Donnie asked. "Sure." I replied lying down on the table. I repeated the process as last time and Donnie returned with images of the X-Ray.

"Well! Your bone is almost perfect! A couple more weeks at the most and you should be A O K!" Donnie informed me. "Yes! Thanks Don! Your the best!" I gently hugged him watching my rib.

I left the lab and headed to my room. I slowly laid down on my bed and closed my eyes.

Couple more weeks. Couple more weeks. I kept telling myself, unable to contain my excitement for when the time comes I can fly again.