Chapter 3

Chapter 3: The First One

           You see Vivian was kind of a newbie to this school, she moved here about two weeks ago and as far as I knew she was kind of a loner like me, but she seemed to be more sociable than I usually am. She talked voluntarily in class where I only spoke when spoken to. I knew from the first time we met that we would likely be friends for as long as we lived. That was when we both turned to look at each other with scrutiny. She had medium length blond hair and a darkish, dullish blue eye-color. When she looked at me I could tell just what she saw: long chocolate brown hair and light amber eyes. Vivian then asked me if she could sit by me. Obviously she had been here first but just like anybody else in the school she recognized the fact that this was my spot at the school, she totally knew that. I knew that what she asked was a rhetorical question, but I nodded my head anyway. That was the moment when Vivian decided to hold her hand out to Cora as if nothing would happen.

            I felt myself stiffen if Cora attacked this girl I would never forgive her. This might be my one chance at a true friend and I wasn’t about to let a certain Merciless Raptor ruin it, but I stayed where I was ready to save Vivian if I had to. To my utter surprise Cora sniffed Vivian and then bent her head under her head, obviously wanted Vivian to pet her. I knew that Vivian was smiling just in the way her whole body just relaxed at the touch. With that done she moved from Vivian and sailed over to my own arm and proceeded to settle herself carefully and perfectly there. Vivian and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. That, I guess, was the moment we became friends. After that we took turns petting Cora and just enjoyed the silence.

           Not once did anyone disturb us or come looking for me; I was quite happy with the arrangement. Vivian leaned back against the wall, and it was quite obvious that she wasn’t used to the solidity or cold of the wall. Since I was at this wall every morning I quickly got used to the fact that the wall was cold hard and completely unforgiving. When we had first met, I expected Vivian to be rather chatty and ask questions about Cora and such, but all she did was sit with me as if she knew that I didn’t do much talking. Then the bell went off and we both rose at the exact same moment and I knew that I had made the right decision to accept Vivian into my solitary circle because she was just so similar to myself as well as Cora.

               Seemingly knowing she couldn’t come where I was going Cora took off; both Vivian and I watched her leave. She walked to doors and through the halls with me to our classroom. I was surprised to find out that she was in my same class, but I was glad of it because I knew she wouldn’t talk but would keep me company in silence. The seats were set up in pairs, but of course nobody ever sat by me in class, but when I plopped down in my usual seat I was surprised to see Vivian already planted next to me like we did this every day. I was happily surprised. Vivian’s boldness shocked me. Most newbies would just talk to me once then talk to somebody else and then never give me a second glance the rest of the year unless they absolutely had to. Through the rest of the school day it was the same. When she could sit next to me she did including our lunch hour which I didn’t mind in the slightest, because I always sat at the one table that no one ever sat at simply because they all knew that that was my table and not to touch it, ever.

               That first day was probably the most enjoyable I had ever experienced up to that point. I thought that maybe my luck might be changing and I could possibly have a social life after all. I decided not to get my hopes up and just take it day by day until I was sure that Vivian would get the memo to stop hanging out with me. Over the next week, I slowly got accustomed to Vivian’s ever present company and I began to enjoy it, although we never talked much. Then just like clockwork she and I started to do small talk like our homework and school mostly, but then we got into other topics like favorites. Just like that we became good friends and when I went home one night I asked Mom if I could have a friend over the next day and she said she didn’t mind. Cora had been right about Vivian. Vivian was the one I needed to get me going; giving me new meaning to actually go to school. When I got to school the next day I asked Vivian if she wanted to come over to my house and hang for a bit. I collectively held my breath sure that this was the day that Vivian finally realized her mistake and totally ditched me. To my amazement Vivian said she’d be there as soon as she could that afternoon. At that moment I think, was when we really became friends and the thought made me smile, and still does.