Chapter 24: Spelling Death

               Following her in order were on her left a dark green female, a sapphire female, and a gold female. On the silver’s right side were a black male, the pale blue male, and finally a darkish violet colored male. The silver was obviously the lead dragon and she was also the only one with an empty saddle she flew faster than any of the other dragons and they in turn tried to keep pace but couldn’t and often had to roar to get her to slow her pace. Then the image changed a dark fortress clouded my vision and that was when I realized that the group of dragons were heading right into a trap. I gasped and it shocked me so much that I almost fell out of the sky I shook my head they would all be killed if I didn’t do something first. Shawn may be the physic of this group but he would never sense this in time I was the only one who had gotten that vision because I was supposedly the next destined female vampire that Eveyliha hoped to transform me into. I shook myself hard and I possessed a huge ball of pure magic and pure energy and I shaped it around my wings forcing them to become three times larger than normal therefore giving me three times the speed.

                 I attached a direct stream of oxygen to my lungs and I flew. The larger set of wings sent my propelling through the air faster than I could have imagined and I never was fatigued. I had fright on my side to give me the will to go at such speeds but time was so not on my side, because……….

I was running out of it.

                 I knew I was getting close to where I would reach my friends because the image of the black fortress flashed more frequently in my mind which spurred me to move faster go higher to scan the air below to catch sight of my dragon and her group. I almost screamed as the image flashed through my vision more frequently and I just tried to fly faster but I knew that time was running out for my friends and I couldn’t do anything about it. I finally caught an inkling of a thought that was neither mine nor any tree spirit it was small could clearly tell that it was another human. I may not have been able to tell who it was but it was definitely a dragon master or mistress. I knew I was within twenty or so miles of the group and that was when I felt the magic welling up inside of my soul and I knew something big was going to happen and without realizing what was going to happen I pinned my wings and let myself drop through the clouds down to the earth below. I knew that this might be a bad decision and then magic exploded. I felt every memory giving the magic new power sending me up and out faster than I ever could have gone before and that was when I saw the tiny bit of glittering air that gave away the presence of a dragon I let the magic shoot me forward and once it got through the last of my memories I got one last boost forward and then it sputtered to a stop.

                  I started to fall before I flipped a switch in my brain that reminded me of the trap and I flew I flew like I’ve never flown before. The black fortress suddenly clouded my vision and I knew that I was too late but I kept trying.  I pushed the image away and turned to see what my friends were seeing and I saw a glorious mountain top where antelopes leaped across and there were dragons! There were a glorious number of all sizes and colors from newborns to ones over millennia. This was their deepest wish I realized this was what each of them had hoped for and I knew in my heart of hearts that we truly were the last of the species and of the masters and mistresses. I tried to reach them but I got a trying gut feeling and I knew that I was truly too late. The image shattered and the dark fortress appeared atop the mountain. I saw shadow creatures leap from nooks and crannies inside the mountain and swarm on top of the dragons fighting. I saw Vivian’s knives and Charlotte’s disks pierce the creatures as they swarmed not making so much as a death blow but causing the creatures to scream in fury. I saw a bright blue stone flying through the air to pierce the closest creature which then disintegrated into black dust that floated away on the wind.