Chapter 33: More Travel

                   As I looked on into the air below me a voice spoke to me as I knew it was eventually meant to do.

He is like you, Star Flower. A soft voice spoke in my mind.

In which ways, I replied as I watched Volc tracing the forest floor searching for something.

You know his name, youngling. That is enough in itself.

He knows my name, Jade. Was it you who told him or does he just know it?

I didn’t tell Volc this information, he just is meant to know your name. Jade replied in a voice I just couldn’t place.

If you say so, I told Jade.

              I was aroused from my thoughts when I heard a roar of fury. Night Shade was positively livid with Volc. When I glanced at the situation I saw that Volc had gotten just a little too close to Hawthorn. I knew just from looking that Hawthorn hadn’t been comfortable with Volc so close after what had happened the night before. Plus Hawthorn was the smallest of our group which would totally make her uncomfortable with a large, violent dragon such as Volc. Sensing his girl in trouble Night Shade had leapt over the trees startling Volc into flight.

              With a hiss I saw Night Shade leap into the air as well. Volc was clearly confused at what he had done, but after last night he was obviously on parole for his actions. I saw Night Shade rush at Volc with such fury as I had never seen before. Volc spun in the air and tried to flee. Night Shade forced him back and into a fight. I watched as both started to circle while Hawthorn took that opportunity to bail out of the situation. Just using my peripheral vision I could see her fly back to the cave to get the other dragons because Hawthorn had absolutely no idea what she should do in this situation. I yawned again this was all very well and dandy for them but I couldn’t have cared in the least.

Do something! A voice yelled in my mind startling me. Don’t just stand there! Do something, stop this fight!

Jade. Of course it would be Jade wanting to keep the peace between us all but I could see that the only way to resolve Volc’s shunning was for him to prove himself in a real fight.

                  Although when I thought about it this particular situation may not be the best decision to let it go on. Knowing Night Shade personally he was completely capable of taking it just a bit too far.

You want me to do something? Fine, I’ll do something, I replied to Jade as I backed to the back of my cave and prepared to leap into space.

Star Flower………I know what you’re thinking and it is NOT a good idea to directly interfere, Jade cautioned, I dashed across the floor towards the opening, Star Flower STOP! Don’t do this; this is not the right course of action! Please, Rose, stop at once!

Jade was screaming at me now and I could listen to her and tell that the only reason she was so rude as to call me my mortal name was because she was angry and scared.

Don’t worry, Jade. I know what I’m doing.

                   As I reached the ledge I dived into space. Just a flick of my outstretched wings was all it took to send me sailing over the valley below where the fight was now happening. As my shadow glazed the earth I felt the collective gasp from the dragons just preparing to take off from the cave and then I saw the fighting males freeze in the air as I soared above. I felt myself being watched by every pair of eyes in the valley.

“What seems to be the problem?” I spoke regally as if I was royalty itself.

“This beast here was making Hawthorn nervous,” Night Shade hissed at Volc, spitting sparks.