Chapter 28: Naming

Chapter 28: Naming

                 My head snapped directly towards the sunset. I roared with some emotion that I didn’t really recognize, but I knew that I had to get there soon. I flew out and I didn’t care if Silver Wing and the other dragons followed or not. Officially Silver Wing was still their leader and I was fully prepared to take this journey on my own. To my amazement as I looked behind me all seven dragons had fallen into line behind me. Silver Wing was to my left; then three dragons behind her and three on my right. I smiled to myself I knew they would follow, but did I really want them with me I had no idea at the moment. That was when I noticed little dark bumps on the backs of the six dragons. Giving an order to Silver Wing to keep her dragons in line, I flared my wings back so I was thrown over the backs of the six. Peering down with one big eye I stared at the little things clinging to the backs of the dragons. Everything seemed to be out of focus but as I looked slightly away it all became clearer. 

               The image was certainly tiny in comparison to the dragons themselves. I looked down and I just couldn’t make out what it was. My memory played with me. I felt like I knew what it was but I just couldn’t see what it was. I flipped backwards and roared in frustration. I just couldn’t figure out what clung to the back of this green dragon. I can’t believe I can’t remember; I feel that I should and that’s when I have an idea. Now that I am what I am there is only one method to find out this information. I threw my mind against the thing-that-clung. I felt a small resistance but I destroyed it with just one thought. I shuffled through its memories and discovered that I knew this thing. Its mortal name was Vivian, but I had no idea what its real name was. Even though I knew this thing obviously I couldn’t name its real name. I let my power reseed letting the mind recover from my onslaught.

                I looked at each and every one of the backs of the dragons and I saw that all of them had a similar creature clinging to a dragon’s back. As with the first creature-that-clung I assaulted their minds until I had gained all the information I needed to reach the same conclusion. I knew each and every one of these things. That was when I realized that this must have been the form my mortal self had taken as the human Rose. I went back through the memories I had collected from these humans. The one called Vivian was very special to the mortal part of me. According to the images that Vivian had been withholding we had been very close when I was Rose. I shifted to the one called Felix. What a strange name I thought when I had first attacked his mind.

             This Felix had been really nothing to my former self other than a friend who had helped Rose on her own journey. All the other humans I discovered were all part of my journey but one name stuck in my head as I shifted through the memories. This was the one who clung to the gold dragon, Gyldi, which I immediately knew from the decision she had helped me make. There was one other dragon who stuck in my last moments as human. It was the blue dragon, Izona. They were sisters as I could clearly tell by the way their minds matched together almost perfectly.

                     I already knew from Silver Wing that she, the violet male, and the dark green female were siblings that had apparently been separated from their mother and then had been discovered by Rose, Vivian, and Felix. While I had been thinking a single mind had slipped through my safe guards. I prepared to crush its mind before it could even do anything before I recognized it as the one of the things-that-clung. This was the one who clung to Gyldi. I let my anger reside.

Human-Zane, why do you enter territory that is not yours? I growled at him as I resisted the urge to claw his eyes out.

Um, do I address you as Rose or Star Flower? I mean sure your body has changed, but you’re still the same soul right? Human-Zane asked tensely.