Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Flight

              I woke up the next day to find Diego gone; as I started to panic I felt his presence deep within my mind still sleeping soundly. I got up and started to get ready for school I wondered what was going to happen today, but I knew that something was going to happen today. I walked out to the shed to check on the saddle; it certainly was coming along well and I knew just the spot to put it on Kilau. I couldn’t work now because of school but I would work tonight. I ran to the stop with Diego still sleeping in my mind. I could even hear him snoring. When I got to school I heard Diego suddenly wake with a start, and I knew that he’d sensed something, when I asked him he just said that someone smelled so bad that it had woke him right up. When I used some of my dragon senses I indeed did find someone who smelled quite awful and it was a wonder that I hadn’t smelled it before. School went well and all five of us met at the creek as usually. We sat a while and discussed the progress on the first saddle and I said that it was coming along well and it would be ready by tomorrow. The next day, which was luckily a no school day, was going to be very busy with the two hatchlings growing to full size.

                 I went home while Kilau and her two rambunctious siblings went to watch the black and blue hatchlings play in the forest. I walked home and then realized that I had to go to get the papers from the box at the edge of the drive. I looked to the sky for Cora and just like that she was there lifting me to the end of the drive. I grabbed the papers and let Cora fly me safely and slowly back to the house without letting my mom catch even a glance of me being just four feet off the ground. I let Diego sleep on the bed because I think I was just too tired to care. I woke up the next morning knowing today was going to be a big day since the two young hatchlings were going to reach full size. I got up and saw that Diego was still sleeping soundly on the bed. I woke him up and told him my plan for the day; he just yawned with his feline mouth and went into the mark after that proceeding to just fall fast asleep once again. It seemed that Diego preferred to be feline rather than raptor or canine. For my Almaligado he sure was quite lazy but I didn’t mind I loved him anyways.  I walked out went to the shed and checked what I still had to do on the saddle and I decided that would just take it with me so I grabbed the saddle work and ran down the trail, getting to the creek first.

                I knew it would probably be a while before anyone else came here. I worked for about two hours and the dragon saddle was finally finished and finished. I called Kilau down and strapped the saddle on by the use of a strap down the middle of Kilau’s chest and under her front legs it fit perfectly. I hopped on to test it out and just as it fit Kilau it was perfect for me. I left the saddle on Kilau since she said she couldn’t feel anything, because I‘d made it so light for her. She flew off and I heard the two dragon hatchlings coming through the trees as normal, but today they were as big as Hawthorn and Sarken. I told Kilau’s siblings to get them back in the forest immediately and get them something to eat right away. Then Vivian, Felix, Charlotte, and Shawn walked in to the clearing and I showed them the finished saddle and each made their comments and I accepted the face that each saddle would be different for each and every one of them. I then called Kilau down and the other dragons from the woods. All the dragons went straight to their masters.

                  When Night Shade got to Charlotte he swayed his head and Charlotte’s Almaligado appeared. It was a sleek well muscled female Harpy Eagle as I assumed Night Shade was going through the animals the Harpy changed from eagle to a large dingo and then to a fluffy lynx. Then Azzurro stepped up to Shawn and a sleek female cheetah appeared. Just as Night Shade did Azzurro went through the animals the raptor was an African Crowned Eagle, and the canine was a large silvery gray wolf. As they were each admiring each other’s Almaligadoes Diego, Jasper, and Bruno decided to make an appearance and they all emerged from the marks. I asked what everybody was going to call their Almaligadoes. I got many replies.