Chapter 6

Chapter 6: New Additions

            I reached out to pet the dog and saw that his eyes were the same exotic green as Kilau’s. I was thanking Kilau for my gift when Vivian emerged from the woods with the horse –sized Hawthorn. Then within a couple seconds Felix emerged with his dragon slightly bigger. They both gasped as they saw the size of Kilau. I knew that I would have an enormous amount of explaining to do when they finally got over their amazement at what they now witnessed. I just sat done on the grass and the wild dog sat with me and I then patiently waited for Vivian and Felix to come to their senses and follow my lead by taking their seats.

             Once they were finally seated and starting to come out of their stupor, their hatchlings bounded over and quietly sat next to Felix and Vivian. Kilau was lying on the ground just like a cat with her clawed paws out stretched in front of her. I sat right in the middle with the wild dog seated next to me as obedient as any dog might be.

Hello, Felix, Vivian, Kilau said.

Both of my friends looked a little shocked but not so much as when they saw Kilau for the very first time. Both Felix and Vivian turned to me for an explanation. Kilau and I then took turns explaining some things to them; it took a while but we eventually got most of the things sorted out.

“So first matter of business, Felix what are you going to call your hatchling?” I asked him with much interest.

“I’ve decided to call him Sarken,” Felix replied.

              Felix had his Sarken in his lap sleeping peacefully. Vivian had Hawthorn next to her investigating a bug that had somehow hidden itself in the grass from the young dragon. Kilau was looking down at the group with much interest. All of our dragons had their very own names now.

“Next order of business,” I said as I turned to look up at Kilau, “Kilau, how big will all three of you get?”

I am essentially fully grown, but I will continue to grow slowly for about a year or so, then I will finally be fully grown. The biggest creatures on this planet.

All three of us had heard her through the mind speak. So all three would get really big, we already knew that from the legends that we learned about in school. I then turned to Diego who had not left my side.

“Kilau, when do masters or mistresses receive their Almaligadoes?” I asked with great interest.

Masters or mistresses will receive their Almaligadoes and receive mind speak when the dragon is about three days old, Kilau explained.

         I hugged Diego tightly to let him know how much I already loved him. I had a sudden thought that electrified my very being. Hawthorn would be Kilau’s size tomorrow and Sarken just the day after that. We would have three almost full size dragons on our hands and who knows what trouble they would get themselves into. This was going to be a hectic, glorious adventure, I thought.

Of, course it will be a great adventure, Kilau replied to me and only me.

             We all talked for a couple more minutes than Felix, Vivian and their dragons left, because they had chores to do at their own houses leaving me alone with no other human in sight. I turned to Kilau and thought about what we should do next now that it was just the three of us all alone. Kilau just sat up on her hind legs flapped her enormous wings to show what she thought we should do.

Well, Rose, how do you feel about a flying lesson? Kilau asked me.

I nodded cautiously and told her that it would be nice to see a dragon fly, but only as long as she was careful. She fell down to her feet and crouched so I could get up onto her back. What about Diego I thought with some anxiety, but as soon as I did, he jumped up onto Kilau’s back right behind me and settled down. I’m ready, I told Kilau with a little nervousness.