Chapter 22: The Vampiress

                  I knew that he meant it so I stayed in place for the longest time before I heard a noise. Coming from the direction I was facing I heard a curtain swing and then I heard a great many footsteps. Then came the smell; there must have been an awful lot of vampires to give off that kind of stench. From my position on the floor I could feel the steps of each one walk past me and settle into the seats that I had passed on my way into the room. That was the moment I heard a single vampire settle into the seat directly in front of me. I still kept my head down but I had a nasty feeling that this had to be their leader. I heard a hiss.

“Rise, dragoness,” the vampire in front of me hissed.

                I did as I was told and when I looked at the vampire in front of me I was astonished. This vampire was nothing like the others that I had encountered so far in my journey. It was a young woman dressed in a full black gown with glittering jewels of the same color surrounding. I stood and waited for further instruction. We stared at each other the vampiress and me each waiting for the other to make the first move. Her hair I noticed was the exact same length as mine and strangely it was a chocolate color just like mine. Her nose was more pronounced than any of the other vampires I’d seen before. I wondered if that was a girl trait in this terrible species. I’m not really sure how long I stood there watching her before she finally spoke.

“You are the dragoness, are you not?” she asked me with a voice that I knew from somewhere but I just couldn’t place.

I didn’t reply but she walked right up to me moving me hair to reveal my dragon mark that was still glowing in earnest. I flinched and jumped away. The vampiress seemed pleased at my dragon mark along with my reaction.

“You are the one we have been waiting for, dragoness,” she said with a smirk on her face. I shook my head; not understanding.

“My name, dragoness, is Eveyliha. I have lived in this world for just a few decades but already I am the most powerful of us all,” Eveyliha spoke with such power I could do nothing but believe every word that she spoke.

“I am the only female vampire. You see I must give you a little insight into vampire society for you to completely understand this. There can only be one female in the world at one time except for her successor. To become a vampire you don’t have to be bit because unlike popular belief you cannot become a vampire by being bit by one. If you are bit, then you simply die but your body will not rot away in death, but stay the same age as when you died until after the first century then you will rot away underground, understand,” Eveyliha explained to me.

                  I couldn’t believe it if you are bitten by a vampire you only die. I thought it meant an eternity of being a bloodsucking vile creature of the night. Eveyliha continued.

“Now I must tell you how the first vampire came about. The first of our noble kin was a young girl by the name of Cassandria. She was walking along the mountain one day when she fell through a hole in the rock into a cave of total darkness. She had stumbled upon where we are at this very moment. Presently an enormous boulder covers the wide hole where Cassandria feel into this very room. She came upon a crystal of some sort. It was glowing and blood red with veins of black throughout it. It was about six feet in size with the width of a hundred year old tree. She was curious so she went up to it. You see, dragoness, she was a special girl. No friends, absent father, and people tended to avoid her and called her insane. So when she touched this stone every one of those people’s hatred towards her burst out of the crystal attaching her soul forever to it,” Eveyliha  stopped to sigh and I wondered for a moment what she could be thinking.