Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Believing in Myself

                 That night I slept rather soundly and I woke up refreshed and ready to take on the day. When I got to school I was having a conversation with Charlotte when I felt someone watching me. When I turned I saw a caramel haired brown eyed girl watching me intently. I had a feeling she would be the final mistress for the one remaining egg so I walked over and introduced myself and like Zane had she seemed to notice my dragon eyes. However, she didn’t exclaim like he did but I knew that she knew and I think she knew that I knew she could see them.

                   I told her to come to my house this afternoon. She nodded and looked at me questionably but just walked on. Before she left she came back and told me her name. Lacey. I was sure then that she would be a dragon mistress. I went home that afternoon and waited for Lacey. When she arrived I took her right to the shed and showed her the last egg. I told her to touch it just once she looked confused but she did as I asked.  The very moment her index finger touched the smooth shell she fell to the ground shaking like an earthquake. Within a matter of mere seconds the egg had burst open and instead of the navy blue I had been expecting this hatchling was the shade of a brilliant sapphire color with the same pale pearl colored eyes. I told her to touch it on the head.

                She went out like a light and then came to in about a minute when she came to I grabbed both of them and the one saddle and rest of the leather and tools that I’d gotten about a week earlier. I placed the sapphire hatchling in Lacey’s arms and walked her down the trail. Strangely she had remained quite calm throughout the entire experience so far but I could tell that if I didn’t start talking soon she might have a nervous breakdown. We made quick progress to the clearing. I had Kilau call all the dragons down from the sky to me while Lacey just gaped. I then explained to her about dragons and gave her the whole speech before all the others got into the clearing. They understood and right as the others got there Lacey named the female hatchling Izona.

                 Then when Zane got there Gyldi was right there and swung her head presenting her master with his Almaligado. When the lump of fur uncurled itself I saw that it was a female maned wolf, and then it changed to a large cougar then to a magnificent bald eagle. We all congratulated Zane on receiving his gado. I found myself reliving yesterday’s flight in my head with Zane. I could almost feel myself smiling before I forced myself back to reality. I felt almost all the gazes of the dragons and humans not including Zane periodically glancing my way. I knew that it was time for a flying lesson. This time I decided to line them up in our flying formation. I had Vivian stay with Lacey and Izona while I took the others on our flying lesson. Since Vivian wasn’t going to be there I had to have Zane and Gyldi on my left side and the other three on my right. No one questioned the formation as I had expected. I lined the dragons all up before we were going to take off. before I could even say a word all the gados changed into their raptor forms ready for takeoff when it came to raptor form it was obvious that Lydia (Charlotte’s) the Harpy Eagle was the dominant of this form. I turned back to my friends, having them get onto their dragons.

“Assume the take off position!” I yelled.

                   Every dragon then proceeded to get into that position. Kilau sensing my every move knew exactly when to take off and suddenly we were in the sky. I decided that today we would just take it easy, but try to fly a little more complicated; Kilau knew exactly what to do and all we as riders had to do was hold on. Everybody was becoming quite accomplished with the basic moves. Even though this was Zane’s and Gyldi’s first flight it appeared that they had learned something yesterday. Again I felt a smile creep up. Yesterday had been amazing after all, I decided. The flight was a little longer than normal since we had a newbie among us, even if Gyldi had a natural talent for flying. I instructed everyone to pick up the speed to come in for a dive and landing. Everyone did exactly as I said, but I wasn’t sure if Gyldi could handle a dive. So we did a kind of half dive. It went well except for Gyldi stumbling when we landed everything else was perfect. It would hopefully be better tomorrow when the other two joined us. I couldn’t wait to finally get everyone up to speed and take them for our first real practice flight. After flight practice I told Lacey to leave Izona out tonight and the other dragons will watch over her as always.