Chapter 12

I could hear the cursing behind me as I address my uncle, a man I once loved like a father.   I had to tune them out if I was going to finally get the answers I needed. Keep it together just a little bit longer Harley.

Standing there I waited as nothing but Slash's moans surrounded us.   I knew all my shots were not lethal, but combined they would turn deadly.   In a few minutes he would bled out, dying slowly like I wanted.  But he wasn't my concern anymore.  Cricket was.

"I am glad you survived Davy."   He said using my childhood nickname.

"DON'T fucking call me that!   You lost that privilege the night you turned me over to that bastard.   How could you, you were my fucking uncle.   I loved you, hell I trusted you and you just handed me over like none of it mattered.   Why."

Defeated he looked me in the eye.   "You don't understand, I had no other choice.   Hunter's take over began a few weeks prior.    Brothers were taking sides but we all knew your dad would go down.   He was weakening and we all saw it.   Hunter was gaining the loyalty.   They kept me in the dark mostly until they could figure out where I stood.   That day Hunter collected all the old ladies and had them locked up to ensure the guys didn't turn against him.   I swear I didn't know where I was bringing you, I was just following orders, orders I thought were from your father.   After Hunter killed him I knew what was going down and I couldn't do a damn thing about it.   It would have been suicide if I did."

"So instead you sacrificed a fifteen year old girl.   How didn't you fucking know what was going on.   Christ you were the Sergeant in Arms.   You should have known."   I yelled, gripping the gun tighter.  

Arms circled my waist anchoring me to the large muscular chest behind me, easing the weapon from my grasp.   My body shook with rage as I unconsciously leaned into Axel for support.

"We didn't know how far his obsession went with you until later.  Christ that man had photos of you plastered all over his wall.   He had cameras in your room so he could watch you.   According to Hunter you belonged to him and nothing was going to stand in his way of having you.   Your mother stood in his way.   Your father stood in his way.   Any brother that didn't go along with him he saw as a threat and eliminated.   Thirteen brothers died that night.   The rest of us wised up and kept our mouth shut.   We planned to get you out but he had eyes everywhere."

As I listened my body struggled against the fury that consumed it, but Axel just tightened his hold.   Missing pieces began to fall into place and I remembered how things have changed in that last week.   How some men began to follow me more closely and how my father's anger increased towards me, confining me to my room.   I just thought it was because the bastard hated me.  

It was common knowledge that my father hated me, I just never knew why.   After my mom died I pretty much became his slave, doing all the cooking, cleaning, shopping, - whatever he needed.   Basically filling in for my mother.   But in all that time I never knew why the man despised me.

"Why did my father hate me?" 

"Because he knew you weren't his..."

I wasn't quite sure what I felt at that little tidbit of information. Happy? Elated that the bastard wasn't my father? The man that mentally and verbally abused me for years didn't share my DNA.   He never showed me any kind of love or affection.   No Uncle Cricket was the...no that couldn't be right.

"You...you are my father..."  It was more of a statement then a question.

Cricket nodded confirming for me that my sudden assumption was right.   And like a light bulb going off and everything made sense.   How he was always around playing with me.  Taking me shopping and to school.  Fixing boo-boos, teaching me to ride a bike.   Doing all the things a father should do.

"Your mother and I weren't together but we fucked a few times.   At the same time your dad took an interest in her.   You knew what she was, we all did.   When she fell pregnant he demanded she marry him.   He didn't know about us and like I said, he was not stable, even then.   It wasn't until you were born did I know you were mine. You got sick when you were little and due to a blood test he also found out that you weren't his.   But he kept you both pretty much prisoners in that house, controlling every aspect of your life.   Your mom never gave me up knowing it would make matters worse.   It was by luck that I fell in love with her sister, becoming your Uncle."

There wasn't a happy memory from my childhood that didn't include my uncle and Aunt Mary. They were my constants, my support, my family...until that night.   

"What happened after my father's death?"   The next few nights were a blur and I was never able to remember all the details. 

"Mary and the few other ladies cleaned you up and treated your wounds.  You were in so much pain they kept you sedated for the first week.    Somehow they were able to appease Hunter and convinced him to give you time to heal to be any good to him.    I also assumed it was because the club was on the brink of imploding that he agreed.   He had to establish order.   The girls packed the car for you with food, clothes, money and all your dad's paperwork.    You were his sole heir, another thing Hunter wanted.   If he could control you he could take your dad's money.   We knew those millions would help you hide."

Millions that I rarely used.   I didn't want to bring attention to myself.   Included in that paper work were new bank accounts were set up to where the money would transfer to once everything was processed.   Three months after I ran my account suddenly contained several more dollar signs.   But it was too risky using it.   Money drew attention, attention I couldn't afford. I had to stay under the radar.

It was why I had a sensible car and modest clothes.   Nothing to stand out.   Nothing flashy.  I only stayed in average housing, nothing to peak anyone's interest.   To keep boredom at bay I took jobs that anyone could do and allowed me to blend in.

"Two weeks had passed and Hunter was getting impatient.   Some of the brothers against him kept causing problems to keep him distracted.     That night we had a party at the clubhouse.   We kept giving him drinks and woman.   You know the rest."

Closing my eyes I remember Mary and two other old ladies sneaking me out of the clubhouse.   The car was fully stocked, gassed and running.    I was never so thankful that Cricket taught me how to drive months before when I got behind that wheel.    For the next few weeks I kept driving, only stopping to sleep.   My fake ID that I found in my wallet showed I just turned eighteen not sixteen.  

Only after putting four states between me and my old home did I finally check into a motel and sleep for another week.   At that point I just needed rest and time to heal.   With my car filled with everything I could ever need, I was able to just keep going.   Those ladies gave me what I needed to survive.

"What ever happened to the women?"  

"The two were club whores but loyal to Mary.    They spent the night in Hunters room to alleviate any suspicion on them.   Mary and I partied very publically so that everyone saw us.   You weren't watched at night because they kept you medicated under Hunter's orders.  But Mary switched the drugs and when he came to give them to you, it was just saline.   The next morning when Mary went to check on you she panicked finding Hunter immediately.   It was just assumed you escaped."

And escape I did.  

Turning to Axel I thanked him with a smile.  Exhaustion was finally setting in after the roller coaster of emotions rode through me.   Placing my forehead on his should I turned to him and whispered, "Don't kill him.   Clean him up, feed him and put him in one of the cells.  I need time to process all this."

Squeezing my hand he released me to exit the room.   I could hear his orders as I headed up the stairs in a daze.   I didn't even know if Slash was dead yet and frankly didn't care.  

Brothers stared as I walked through the main room.   I guess seeing me covered in blood was not what they were expecting.   Several moved out of my way as I headed upstairs.  

Right now I just wanted a shower...dealing with my...um father could wait.