Chapter 36

Tucking the knives into my hands, I sat still as my new assailant cautiously stepped around me.  

Shocked didn't even cover the feeling I was experiencing as my eyes took in the battered woman that stood before me. Her face was so damaged it was hard to make out her once soft motherly features.   But I would recognize this woman anywhere. She was the same woman who loved me growing up. The same woman who took care of me. Was the same woman who risked her life years ago to help me escape. 

Although physically she was the same, but mentally and emotionally...that woman was gone, but hopefully not dead.    Now in her place stood a person who was broken and defeated, her eyes no longer held the life and joy as they once did and it broke my heart. What did this bastard do to her?

"Aunt Mary?"

"Give me the key Harley." Her voice shook with fear.

"Aunt Mary please, lower your gun.  I am not the enemy here.   I mean you no harm."   And I honestly believed that.   This woman was like a mother to me and seeing her shaking, barely holding it together was heartbreaking.   My urge to kill Hunter increased tenfold.

"Key." Was all she whispered again.

Reluctantly conceding to her wishes I stepped behind Cricket as I pulled out my remote. As long as she was here, I prayed she wouldn't let him kill me. The light turned green the magnet released and his hands fell apart.   Cricket's movements were still sluggish from the lack of feeling that was slowly returning to him.  

Mary instantly rushed over to him and threw his arms around his shoulders.   She cried into his neck as he struggled to bring his hand up to caress his back, whispering comforting words in her ear.

"Keep it moving bitch.   Release my hands!"  Hunter exclaimed as he forced his body to sit up.  

Since Mary was pre-occupied breaking down in Crickets arms, I pocketed the remote as I squatted over his extended legs. Time for my revenge.

"You think one little gun is going to convince me to free you?   That is actually quite funny since I would rather die than EVER release a scumbag like you."   His scream penetrated the stillness of the air as my knife pierced his leg.   Good he had enough feeling back to feel that. 

My second knife met the same reaction as the bastard swore at me as he spited in my face.   "You are going to pay for that you fucking cunt!" 

Amused, I pulled out each knife only to repeat the action several more times...chest, arms, stomach.   It didn't really matter where my knife punctured – only that it did. Each time my hand pushed forward it was another victory in taking back on what he stole from me. I don't know where this dark place was coming from where thoughts of torturing this man for hours excited me, but I didn't question it. My body was operating on the sole purpose of one goal. To cause this bastard pain...the same pain he caused me.

As his screams continued to echo off the walls and his body slumped back, I finally stepped away, rushing to wipe his blood that was dripping down my hands onto his pant leg.   It wasn't blood per se that freaked me out, it was just this bastards blood that had my stomach rolling.

Picking up my knives, I all but forgot I wasn't alone until I turned to find Cricket, holding Mary tightly to his side. The sight warmed my heart, seeing the two people I have only ever loved in a tight embrace. But that wasn't what had me freezing.

No it was sight of the gun that Cricket had raised, point directly at me that had me concerned. Why didn't he shoot when my back was to him, he had plenty of opportunity. Even now he just continued to just stand there and stare at me.

Rotating the knife in my hand, I prepared my attacked.  I knew that Mary was too far gone to do any damage, no my target was Cricket.   My father.

Tensing, my wrist flexed as my grip on my knife prepared for its release. 

Breathe in...breathe out...

No hesitating now Harley.  Who cares if the man is your father, the bastard is pointing a gun at you!   Mentally shaking off my conscious, I ...

"DADDY!!!!"  

The tiny voice could be heard clearly, even cutting through Hunters cries, as the child sprinted into the room.   Terror washed over my face as I took in the small girl diving into the arms of her waiting family.    Stumbling back I took in the sight before me, as I watched Crickets eyes fill with tears as he embraced his family.   His real family, one I was no longer a part of.  

I immediate understood his reason for revenge.   And it wasn't for me or even Mary.   No his revenge was for what that bastard behind me had done to his other daughter...his little girl. 

A little girl that was covered in bruises and blood that I prayed it was not hers. 

A little girl that was crying in the shoulder of her father and mother.

A little girl that was almost a complete carbon copy of me when I was that age.

A little girl that was my...sister?