Chapter 14

Cricket looked better today, but his face swollen and bruised.   He quietly watched me as we ate our lunch.   Several times it looked like he was going to say something but stopped himself.   I was still struggling with the fact that not only was he my biological father but he (sort of) never actually betrayed me.   He did what he did to stay alive, to stay alive so that he could get me out of there. Now that I had time to think about it, I got it.

"Mary misses you.   She always thought of you like a daughter.   Your mother, even though they were sisters, didn't see eye to eye.   The drugs your father gave her kept her high constantly.   Mary tried several times to get you out of that house.   I am sorry we failed you. "

What did one say to that?  It wasn't like hallmark had cards for these types of situations.  

"How is she?"  I quietly asked.

"Good.   Things changed.   The club is not stable now, no one is safe, even old ladies.  The Code we used to live by...well Hunter has his own code, one with no honor.   Our numbers have dwindled over the years.   Hard to recruit when the President is known for offing his own men.   The clubhouse is nothing better than a whore house, except the woman are not there by choice."

Axel, Mac and I sat there quietly as we listened to Cricket's rundown of how bad a shape the SOD's were in.   Hunter was a loose cannon, killing anyone in his path.   People have begun to move out of town because of fear.   Even the cops are afraid to go after him. Shit I knew that man was always toxic.

"...hell even the cartel is smart enough not to do business with us.   Hunter has alienated all our buyers with his erratic and violent behavior.   No one wants to deal with him when they have other options, more stable ones.   That is why the hunt for you had tripled.   The club is going broke, he needs your money."

Pushing away the plate, I now regretted eating anything. Christ, this was not what I expected to hear.  Sure obsession is a strong motivator, but money is more powerful.   No matter how you look at it, I was screwed.

Hearing them curse behind me, Mac and Axel had come to the same conclusion.  

"You're here to warn me aren't you?   I have never known you to get caught."

"Yeah.   You were the only reason I stuck around.  That and the brothers that still believed in the old club.   Hunter has turned us into gang of thugs who kill for money.   Majority of us don't agree with him.  When I heard you finally had protection, I devised the plan and volunteered to come after you.    His number of true disciples is less by four now, Slash being one of them."

"So you are not safe now either."

"Davy, don't worry about me.   The guys that got away saw me take down several of the Renegades, however I tried to keep my shots non-fatal.  I know the three outside I hit in the legs.  Are they okay?"   He asked looking behind me to Axel, but I didn't dare turn around.   I couldn't handle seeing his face right now.

"Good.   My loyalty will be confirmed as Slash and I did not give up quietly either.   Are you okay with all of that?  The prick deserved worse."   He was the first one to ask me that and just like that I forgave him for his part in what happened years ago.

"Oh..."   Jumping I landed in his arms, sobbing into his shoulder as he ran a soothing hand up and down my back.   I don't know how long we stayed in that position, but he didn't let go until I got it all out.   Leaning back, I wiped my tears from my eyes smiling down at him.

"I am so happy you are my father.   You are the only man to ever show me love and I thank you for that.   I have the money, let's leave and find a way to get Mary out.   Just the three of us..."

Cricket looked at me and then to the two men behind me.   "We are safer here.   We need the Renegades to take down Hunter. I can not protect you alone. You won't be safe until we do.   He won't stop coming for you and I won't let that happen."

I could tell Cricket was getting tired.   The guys really worked him over and his body was still recovering.   Laying him down I covered his with a blanket, holding his hand as the pain killers I gave him took effect.   Mac and Axel still remained, both silent, as they waited for me.  

Once Crick...um my dad...shit I had a dad again. That was going to take some time getting used to.

Once he fell asleep I stayed a few more minutes before leaving him to rest.   I was so happy to have him back in my life again, the circumstances didn't really matter.   After all these years I had hope...and it was a nice feeling.

As I headed to the main room I saw it full of Renegades.   Now what was going on?   As I looked around the room I noticed several of the men dipping their heads down low.  What were they doing?

I felt the warm chest against my back before I felt the arms that surrounded my waist.   For some reason, this was Axel's favorite position when holding me. And I have to say I liked it, his large frame and height surrounded me. My body tensed briefly before relaxing against him.

Damn you body...

"They are showing you respect.   They accept you as one of us, therefore they offer you their protection.  No one messes with the President's woman and gets away with it."

"There is one thing wrong with that statement...I am not your woman."   Stepping out of his hold I took a seat on the bar.

As he passed, he whispered, "Not yet, but you will be."

Damn infuriating man.  Did he think I changed my mind just because I leaned into him?   Well I didn't.   I was done being messed with whenever the mood struck him.   Dammit I wanted more, I deserved more...but the only thing my body seemed to want was him...stupid fucking hormones.  

"Listen up brothers.   As you know the Sons of Death have wronged my Harley, you all know the details.  I have offered her our protection.   Today I propose to declare war on the SOD's.     I have called you all here today to take an offical vote.   All those in favor, please rise."

Tears filled my eyes as not one man remained seated.  One by one they stood and turned towards me, their fist over their hearts.  Growing up in the club atmosphere I knew what that gesture meant...they would protect me at all costs...

...even in death.