Chapter 24

An hour later my tears had finally subsided as Nix handed me a beer.   She patiently listened to me babble about my life over the last few months.   And now I just felt drained.   All this drama was literally sucking the life out of me.

"Baby, the guy is a scared ass, sure he is sexy as fuck, but until he gets his head on straight, grows the fuck up, he is just going to continue to jerk your chain.   You need a clean break, regroup and go from there.   Now tell me more about Mac...that is one truck I would love to drive!"

Nix's lame joke had me laughing so hard I had beer coming out my nose, Christ I needed a good laugh.   "Well Mac is great.   Took a bullet a few days ago courtesy of the SOD's, the man is like a brother to me.   I think you met your match with that one, his fuck all attitude rivals yours."   I wished we could stick around because watching those two would be one hell of a show.

"So what's with the up-grade?   This place is several steps up from the last one."   I asked as I got up.   Since I collapsed in tears the second the door closed I had yet to look around. This place was fucking awesome!

"Yeah I figured I might as well spend all the money I make, it's not like I can take it with me.   So this baby was custom made for me with a few upgrades not available to the general public."   Well that much was obvious.  

Earlier as I cried my eyes out on the couch, Nix moved the monster vehicle further to the side.   With the push of a few buttons both sides extended out giving the living space double the room that housed a seating area, dining table and state of the art kitchen.  Behind the kitchen was a full bathroom and closet area.  Next to the door stood a spiral staircase. 

"Only you have a second floor on your motor home.  Jesus Phoenix what the hell did you spend on this?"   Taking the spiral stairs up I stepped into a huge space lined with counter space.   Nix pushed a button on the wall and six monitors slowly popped up from the granite.   Of course...her command center.   Nix wouldn't travel without one.   Behind the back curtain was the bedroom that housed a king size bed. 

"Since I spend most of my time on the road I figured I would spare no cost.   With my line of work, mobility is key.   This baby is top of the line with solar panels and even bullet proof glass."  

Shaking my head we continued our tour as she showed me all the little "extras" that she added.  Hell at this point the hide-a-way gun wall should not have surprised me.  The place truly was a fortress on wheels. 

"Come on, let's eat and then catch up.   Tomorrow we hunt Hunter."  Chuckling at her own joke, we headed downstairs while I watched Nix cook.

The woman really could do anything.   At 34, she was still an iron horse even after she served her country proudly for ten years where she was honorably discharged after her platoon was attacked.  Her body still bore the burn marks that ended her career. 

But that didn't stop her.

I guess you could say Nix's job description would be domestic spy slash mercenary.   She was frequently contracted by the government to help dissolve situations before they became an issue.   With domestic terrorism on the rise the government must have her on speed dial.

"So what crazies have you taken down recently?"

"A group of whack jobs that were plotting to blow up a government office.   All classified of course but the morons practically handed me their heads, I swear these nimrods get more stupid every year.  They had zero security and all their bombs were rigged wrong.   After I took out their communication, I disabled the threat and waited for the FBI to take down the men."

Having certain skill sets allowed Nix to have certain leeway when it came to following the letter of the law. The government needed her, and both sides knew it. What would take the FBI months in obtaining warrants and other paperwork, Nix could circumvent in hours, then play the Good Samaritan and call in the Feds.   The guys in blue turned a blind eye to many things as long as the threat was completely eliminated, witnesses were frowned upon. 

Dropping dinner on the table, Nix mutter a short pray before we dug in.   As always the food was phenomenal.   If spy work didn't work out for her, she could totally be a gourmet chef.  

"I miss this.   Look Nix about when I left...I never apologized for..."

"Stop Harley.  I get it, I really do.   We lived in a bubble for those few months and they were great.   I won't lie and say I didn't have feelings for you but I know you don't swing that way and I am completely fine with that.   Hell I feel privileged being the one to coax you out of your shell.   I get why you left, I know I have no shut off valve and I didn't let up.  And for that I am sorry."

"Phoenix Barnes you have nothing to be sorry about.   I know I was taking advantage of your advances, allowing the touches and caresses.   After years of being alone and with no physical contact, my body craved what you were offering, but for different reasons.   When you held me at night...it was like being in heaven after so many years of being in hell.   You helped heal me and I am sorry you got hurt in the process."

"Oh stop being the martyr Harley.  I knew exactly what was going on but for the same reasons I clung to you as well.   Let's just agree that we equally used each other and leave it at that.   Now go take a shower so we can get some sleep.  We have a lot to do tomorrow."

I could hear it in her voice even if she wasn't saying it.   I never gave her all the details about my past.   She knew I was raped and beat but that was the extent of it.   She begged for names and details, but I refused to give her any.  Now in retrospect I should have, Hunter would have been dead already.

Well, What's done is done and it is time to rectify the problem.