Day 1 at work

[Narrator POV]

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!

My alarm clock is going crazy but I just cannot be bothered to move to turn it off.  BEEP BEEP. So annoying! I thought, as I groaned and moved to turn it off. 6:30am. Waeee?? It’s so early! I thought but then realised that it was my first day working as an assistant! I was instantly excited and got up quickly, having a quick shower and putting on one of my best outfits. Dress to impress. Of course I wanted to look good and maybe it’ll boost their confidence in me becoming a trainee! “Haha, yeah right,” I laughed bitterly but I was still happy to be able to work alongside celebrities.

Wearing my white skinny jeans, baby blue sheer blouse and white singlet, and matching blue pumps and bag, I walked out of the apartment like a whole new confident person. Luckily the building was only next door and I got there well ahead of schedule which meant I got some extra training!

I was also introduced to the other musicians at the company, talking and laughing with them, being asked about life in Australia and as the foreigner – how it was like being in South Korea. The F.T.Island members were really funny and nice, the members from AOA were also very kind saying that as girls they’ll help me out whenever I needed it, and I was able to see Juniel recording her songs and talk to her. It was amazing being able to watch her, her voice coming through the speakers sounded incredible and she smiled at me when I met her eyes through the soundproof glass. It was a rewarding experience to be able to meet most of the people who worked at the company – makeup artists, fashion coordinators, the recording staff, and the choreographers – were just some of the people I was able to talk to, allowing me to learn many new things.

The manager found me as I was sitting in the café drinking coffee bubble tea. “The boys are here now, so let’s go meet them at their studio.” He gestured for me to follow him, so I quickly finished the rest of my bubble tea and followed him. We soon arrived at their studio, and my heart beat a little faster. Walking into the studio was amazing.

There were guitars everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE! All sorts of shapes and sizes, different woods and colours, and they were all hung neatly on the opposite wall to the doorway. There was no particular order but they all fit together like a puzzle. In one corner sat a drum set, clearly well used and loved. The drum skins were slightly faded from use and the cymbals are clean and shiny. A pair of wooden drumsticks was placed neatly on top with headphones hanging off one of the cymbals. Wires were coiled neatly beside the various amps and speakers. I glanced around in awe before I finally realised that everyone was staring at me.

“An…annyeong,” I stuttered nervously. It felt strange for people to look at me so directly. The manager coughed and walked inside, into a storage room I hadn’t noticed. Jungshin stood up and walked over to me, tugging on my arm to come further inside. Yonghwa chuckled at my nervousness and said, “Come in. We won’t bite~” This caused me to smile a bit and Jonghyun smiled appreciatively as he looked me up and down. Minhyuk stood up from behind his drum set and bounced to where I was standing. He took my other arm and together, they both sat me down facing all of them. They walked to where their instruments lay and picked them up, strumming some notes and tuning their instruments. Then Yonghwa looked up at me. “What song should we play?”

I tilted my head, placing my finger on my chin as I thought. “Ummm, I really like L.O.V.E Girl,” I said. Yonghwa smiled and started counting as Minhyuk drummed along.

“3, 2, 1.”

Tell me Tell me sarangeul malhae jwo

Tell me Tell me ni sarang jeonhae jwo

Love me Love me nae pume angyeo jwo

Kiss me Kiss me neo maneul saranghae

niga useul ttaen nan babo cheoreom

naega neol bolttaen neon mchi yeppeun inhyeong cheoreom

gaseumi neommu dugeun dugeun dugeun georyeo

neo ttaemune nan haru haru haengbok hae jyeo

I want you oh my love, naman bara bwajwo, neomaneul saranghae

sesang modu byeonhaedo

Oh my love, neoman bomyeon ttwineun gaseum eonje kkajina

neoman damgo isseulge

(L.O.V.E GIRL) nae soneul jabgo Fly

(L.O.V.E GIRL) nareul midgo Fly high

(L.O.V.E BOY) Yes, we can fly to the sky

(L.O.V.E BOY) I want take you there baby

Their voices flowed with the song – feeling upbeat and happy but also powerful – and I nodded along to the music, singing the chorus with them. Yonghwa kept looking at me as he played the guitar and sang, making me feel that the song was directed at me; Jonghyun on the otherhand, looked intensely at his own guitar but I was glad that he was smiling, showing that he enjoyed what he was doing. When the song finished, I clapped loudly and stood up, “Encore! Encore!”

“So, what do you think?” Yonghwa asked me. I walked over to where they were and smiled at all of them.

“I really loved it! I’m honoured to be able to listen to you like this. Gomayo,” I bowed 90 degrees, because I felt super lucky at that moment, to be in the same room as these wonderful musicians. I bet all of their fan girls and boys would just kill to be here, in front of their favourite band.

After that, they practiced their newer songs and I sat there, listening and answering whatever questions they asked me. I enjoyed their company, and the manager soon went off to do whatever he’s doing, giving me the simple instruction to “Look after the boys, maybe go buy them some drinks and snacks.”

As they looked busy with the equipment and playing with the sound of their instruments, I slipped outside to do what the manager said. Closing the door quietly behind me, I look left and right, trying to remember where the café was. I retraced my steps and arrived there soon after. I picked up some bottles of water, some fruit salad and bread and paid for it before heading back to their studio. By the time I got back, they were talking heatedly with each other about some unknown topic to me, and were gesturing as they talked. I listened for a bit outside the door, and when their conversation seemed to hush, I pushed the door open slowly and poked my head inside, they didn’t notice so I slipped the rest of myself inside. I placed the plastic bags down and brought my own chair that I’d been sitting on over to where they were sitting. The rustle of the bags brought their attention to me, so I quickly put down my chair next to Jungshin and picked up the plastic bags. I gave each one a bottle of water and place the food on the table in the middle. “Please enjoy. You’ve worked hard today!” I said, and promptly sat down.

They each took a swig from their bottles, gulping down the water quickly. "Mmm, gomayo. The water tastes very good!" Jungshin said, patting my shoulder. Minhyuk agreed, nodding his head and flashed his bright smile. Jonghyun and Yonghwa were too busy eating the food. Must be hungry from playing the guitars, I thought. They all looked happy eating the food, and I sat back feeling satisfied that I was doing a good job.