Secret admirer

[Narrator POV]

I walked around my apartment, picking things up and organising the rooms. I was starting to feel uneasy about the unexpected letter. I only JUST arrived in Korea and I already have an admirer? I can’t have! The only people I’ve met are CNBLUE and the other musicians of FNC… I thought to myself, pacing in front of the sofa and squeezing one of the cushions to my chest. I decided to get all of the work done the manager had given me, grabbing my laptop and sitting at the dining table.

Time passed by quickly and I realised that I had only just about 2 hours to get ready for the meeting with this mysterious person. I put on my makeup, curling my hair and clipping it back with a hairclip then slipping on the dress. I checked myself in the mirror, and seeing that I looked ok, I snapped a picture and sent it to my best friend before putting on my shoes and locking my apartment. I hailed a taxi outside and was on my way before I could regret this.

[??? POV]

The classical piano music played slowly in the background of the restaurant; the dimmed chandelier lighting casting glittering sparkles over the tables. I sat back in my seat at one of the reserved tables close to the open dance floor and stage, and checked my watch for the hundredth time. Curse myself for being half an hour early, I thought as I watched people in their evening dress coming through the doors and guided to their seats by the many waiters and waitresses. My heavy masquerade mask was becoming uncomfortable but I resisted the urge to pull it off and instead pulled at my collar. I fiddled with the napkin until I heard the chimes again.

I glanced up and I realised the beautifully satin blue dressed girl was the one I was waiting for. I stood up, and a waitress gave her a mask before bringing her over. Her head was bowed as she walked over, adjusting the mask until it felt comfortable. I pulled out her chair and she hesitantly sat down. Of course, she’s probably nervous like I am but I must act calm! I sat down as well, a slightly discomforting silence falling between us.

[Narrator POV]

I looked at the man sitting before me as I played with the purse in my hands. He was wearing a black suit set, though he had taken his jacket off. He wore a matching vest over a plain white shirt with a deep blue tie. Our eyes met briefly before I quickly looked at his mask and hair. I wondered who it was, his mask covering half his face so that I could only see the slight upturn of his lips. I stared at his hair a little longer, Why did it look so familiar? I mentally went through all the people I knew here in Korea but the restaurant’s lighting made me unsure.

“Nice to meet you,” he said, startling me out of my thoughts. I gave a slight smile, So he has manners.

“You too.”

He smiled and winked. That much I could see and wondered if this was flirting. The slow piano music picked up and I looked around before finding the pianist sitting in a corner of the open floor space near the stage. I could feel him staring at me and peeked at him sideways. His eyes were gleaming and I felt another pang of recognition but still could not place who it was.

I turned my head, catching his stare and causing him to look away promptly. I laughed silently, trying to keep the smile threatening to appear on my face. I didn’t want to let him know my emotions yet. He turned back and looked at me, square in the eyes. Oh, so we’re having a staring competition huh? I’m not going to lose then! I thought as we held each other’s gazes. The tinkling of glass caught his attention and he looked up to see that a waiter had come by to offer us drinks. I felt triumphant at winning even though it wasn’t much.

“Do you want anything to drink miss?” The waited asked.

“Just water please.” He walked off along with our orders of food as well. My stomach rumbled and I picked up my glass of water, taking a sip.

“What’s your name?” I asked, placing the glass down on the table. He didn’t look up right away and instead rolled the cup between his fingers.

“I’ll tell you after our dinner has ended,” He looked up and gave another of his winks.

The food soon arrived and we ate in silence. The music continued to play in the background, until a high pitched feedback sounded as someone stood on the stage holding a microphone. The sounds of gentle chatter and the music faded away until the entire restaurant fell silent. I looked over at the man sitting across from me and he smiled with amusement like he knew what was happening.

“Good evening, ladies and gentleman. Welcome to our 1st anniversary ball! Our dear restaurant has come a long way and it’s thanks to all of our customers that we have made it this far. So, enjoy the music and dance to your hearts content! We’ll have mini surprise gifts as well.” The boss bowed and left the stage. Louder and catchier music played and people slowly rose from the seats having already eaten, and converged on the dance floor.

[??? POV]

I stood up and bowed in front of her, holding out my hand for her own smooth pale ones. “Care to dance with me, milady?” I asked, a cheesy smile tugging at the corner of my lips. I pulled her reluctant hand and dragged her to the dance floor. Together, we danced through all sorts of songs – slow, quick, disco even – and I enjoyed myself thoroughly, pulling her along with me and flowing to the music. She slowly enjoyed herself and finally relaxed in my arms as we spun around.

"Enjoying yourself?" I couldn't help but ask. She nodded, her eyes drooping with fatigue, and I decided it was best to go home soon. I just hope she doesn't ask who I am. I twirled her around again and brought us to our table.

[Narrator POV]

I was beginning to feel tired and sleepy, and I figured that he probably realised as he brought us back to our table. I picked up my purse and as we walked to the door, someone tapped my shoulder. I turned to see that a waiter was holding out a gift-wrapped box.

“This is for you, one of our mini surprise gifts. Enjoy~” I thanked the waiter and turned around. He was still wearing his mask but was holding out his jacket. As I walked forward, he wrapped it around my shoulders, saying “It’s cold outside and you didn’t bring a coat.” He hailed a taxi for me, opening the door and helping me inside.

I only realised as the taxi drove away, that he still hadn’t told me who he was. I sat there in the taxi, his jacket around me shoulders with his scent wafting around me, when I recognised the familiar hair and smile. I looked glumly at the box in my hands, its shiny wrapping reflecting the passing streetlights.