The carrot thief

As you were tending the schools vegetable garden, you noticed several carrots missing from their beds. You went closer to inspect, and saw that it looked as if they had been uprooted! "Arghhh..." You moaned, and you planted new seeds in their place. "Not again!" This was the third time that those carrots had been uprooted, and you still hadn't the faintest idea of who would've done such a thing. As you held your head in your hands and groaned, you didn't notice a tall figure, sneak away from the corner it was hiding in.

The next day, as you went out to water the flowers, you stopped by the bed of carrots to count them all. "Hmmmm seems like they're all here? That's good." You started to walk back to the flowers, but you detected movement out of the corner of your eye, and stood, still for a moment. "Hmmm..I swear I saw something.." You muttered to yourself, as you picked up the hose, and turned it on. As you continued watering the plants, you suddenly turned and sprayed the culprit. "GOT YA NOWW HAHAHAHAH!!!" You drenched your victim in water and kept on watering with no mercy.

"GET YER FILTHY WATER OFF ME!!!" You turned it off and smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry. I got carried away. Now please explain to me why you were in the garden!"

"I was..um..admiring the flowers over there! I love daisies...." The culprit brushed himself off, and stood to his full height. His full 190cm that is....

"OH! Yuma-senpai......." You directed your gaze to the ground, and stared hard at your feet. Yuma was an upperclassman, and you had seen him beat the baddest bullies around, which meant he was, the baddest bully. He was....how would you say it? Scary. Terrifying. Horrifying. Any of those three words work.

"Uh-huh. Yuma-senpai what. Don't you think you owe me an apology?!" Yuma stomped his foot, hard, and you imagined the ground as your head. Yuma wasn't exactly known for his kindness.  

"Yes....um....sorry Yuma-senpai...I promise you that it won't happen again!" You held your hands up in a surrendering motion. He nodded.

"Good. Now if you'll excuse me, I have business to attend." With that, he turned on his heel, and left.

"Great....now I gotta mop this place up..." You sighed and went to the far corner of the garden to grab a mop.

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?!?!" You stared incredulously at your poor carrots, and groaned inwardly. "My poor babies...." You poked some new seeds into the soil, and watered it. "What should I do? The cooking club is looking forward to cooking my carrots! What will I do if this continues..I'll have no carrots though I've been planting them for aggggeessss!!!" You cried out and slumped against the pot of a sunflower. "Oh Sunnie.....what shall I do?" As you were throwing yourself a mini pity-party, you saw Yuma come into the garden. "Yuma-senpai!!! What shall I do?! My carrots keep disappearing and I need them to grow without disturbance!!!" You cried out to Yuma, since he was the only human being you had seen so far.

"How should I know where they are? It's now like I took them or anything..." Yuma frowned at you and stood there, awkwardly. You sighed again.

"Anyways, how can I help you this time? Or are you just watching the daisies bloom?"

"I'm er watching the daisies bloom! Yes that's right! If you would kindly move out of the way, I need to watch them in all their glory." Yuma towered over you.

"Um...Wouldn't it be eaiser to go that way?" You pointed out a path behind him, and he hastily nodded.

"Of course, but you see, I have...um...OCD and since I walk this way every time, I need to walk this way again."

"Every time? Why, I've only seen you here twice Yuma-senpai! What do you mean?" You planted your hands on your hips, smelling something fishy. (No, it was not Yuma. He smelt like sugar cubes.)

"Haha..of course! I've been here waaay more than twice, you just never paid any attention to your surroundings!" Yuma fidgeted nervously. You frowned.

"I've been watering these plants since my first day of school! Don't you tell me what I see and what I don't! Tell me what's really going on here...."

"URGH OKAY I GIVE UP!!!" Yuma threw his hands into the air. You flinched, as if expecting him to hit you. Yuma turned on his heel and left.

"Wait! Yuma-senpai!" You called out after him, but he didn't turn back around. Weird.

The next day, when the final bell had rung, as you were making your way to the garden, you saw Yuma, again. He looked sneaky, and he seemed to be taking something...from.....YOUR BED OF CARROTS!!! "Yuma-senpai? What are you doing over there?!" You started to panic. "STEP AWAY FROM THOSE CARROTS, I REPEAT, STEP AWAY FROM THE CARROTS!!!" You ran to him, and looked at your carrots. You counted them carefully, and saw that 3 were missing. Yuma started to walk away, but you grabbed him by the collar, and stuffed your hands into his pockets. "GIMME BACK MY CARROTS!!! THE COOKING CLUB NEEDS THEM!!!!" Yuma tried to push you off, and you both started wrestling around on the ground. Thank goodness no one was around to take pictures. You were yanking on Yuma's shirt, and he was tugging on your hair. It was a horrid sight. When you untangled yourselves from each other, and took a breath of fresh air each, you asked him, "what were you doing with my carrots?" Yuma sighed.

"I found a family of rabbits in my backyard, and didn't know what to feed them. I had a vegetable garden at home, but the rabbits already ate all my carrots, so I couldn't find any. Of course, the grocery store was always an option, don't tell anyone, but the lady who works there, she's terrifying. That old lady can sure swing her umbrella! Anyways, what I'm saying is that the only other way I could get carrots for that rabbit family was to pilfer from your garden. If I timed everything right, then each time I would only take a few carrots, leaving enough time for the other carrots to grow." Yuma shrugged, and sighed again, as if a load was being lifted off his chest.

"You could've told me! I would've been more than happy to donate some carrots for them! If only you'd told me..." You waggled a finger in him face.

"I get it, I get it. All's forgiven right? I can go now?" You put up a finger and looked up towards the sky, as if in deep thought.

"Work with me in the garden. Help me plant more carrots. Then all's forgiven. Sound good?" Yuma moaned but nodded.

"Fine. Have it your way."

"Great! We start tomorrow!"

Not only did you find yourself an extra helper, but that was also the start of a great friendship.

"Yuma-senpai!!! Stoppp!!!" You giggled as he chased you around the daisies, tickling you. "Ahhhhh I surrender!!! Take the tulip bulbs!!" You gasped for breath as Yuma successfully held a bag of tulip bulbs over your head with a smirk. You were fighting as to which one of you would plant them, and he had won.

"I win!" He stuck his tongue out at you.

"Don't rub it in!!!" You giggled again and pouted. He merely laughed.

"Hey. After this, do you want to come over to see the rabbit family you've been feeding unknowingly?" Yuma stuck a bulb into the soil and looked over at you, somewhat shyly. You had seen so many more sides of Yuma ever since the thievery of your carrots. He didn't seem as hot-tempered as before, in fact, he just reminded you of a big teddy bear, big and scary, but harmless. You nodded happily.

"I'd love to Yumakuma!"

"Hey! what'd you call me?"

And so, the tickle wars continued.