Different Sense: 05

“I wouldn't say I was far from home. Somewhere which takes a day to get to, isn't far away is it?” Lothiriel asked in a tone which sounded like she was posing a riddle to him. “I do believe, however, that we shall be passing, if I am not mistaken.” She said a little distantly.

Thorin frowned at this. “Gandalf did not inform me of this.”

Lothiriel gave him an apologetic smile. “I am sorry then, I am the messenger of this news.”

“I would dearly like to know information like this beforehand. This is my quest after all. If we are to take detours, I would like to know.” Although his words sounded annoyed, he in fact didn't wasn't because he was to tired to be angry right now.

Lothiriel made a thoughtful popping noise while lifting her hands up to the fire. “It isn't far, honestly.” She paused to lower her hands. Blinking slowly she gave him a sidelong look. “I signed the contract, by the way. I gave it back to Balin. I feel like I should tell you this as you like to know information beforehand.” She smirked slowly, in the light it made her look more mischievous than she actually did naturally.

Thorin gave a slow nod, “Good.” He would say more but he could clearly hear Bilbo talking a little to loudly nearby. Thorin didn't understand why Gandalf reasoned it to be a good idea to bring a hobbit along. He looked useless.

“Hobbit,” Thorin grumbled lowly while narrowing his eyes towards a nearby tree.

“What about him?” Lothiriel answered while moving. She moved in a odd feline fashion, slowly she clambered up onto a rock which was opposite to the one which Thorin was using as a pillow. She sat in a crouch before sitting cross legged, and hanging her arms over her knees.

Seeing as how Lothiriel had seen fit to answer, or comment, on something, or someone, Thorin was complaining about to himself, he thought he best continue. “Why is he here? What use could he possibly be to me, or to us?” Thorin paused to sit away from the rock. “He cannot fight, he is no burglar, he admitted to that and made it very clear.” There was another pause. “He's a liability, that's what he is.”

Lothiriel smiled and shook her head. “I'm not so sure about that.”

“Have you seen him?” He questioned while sitting up more to try and put emphasis into his point.

“I've travelled most of the day by his side. If I hadn't of seen him then...well, I am a very oblivious person.” Lothiriel said dumbly and slightly sarcastically.

“That is not what I meant.” Thorin grumbled.

Lothiriel sighed quietly, looking at the ground she flicked her eyes up to him. “Bilbo Baggins, the hobbit.” She paused. “The least unlikely thing can become the most interesting.”

Thorin wasn't exactly happy with her answer. “I don't know why he's here; he doesn't even know why he's here! Why is he here?” He continued his original line of thought on.

“Perhaps, Bilbo is here for the same reason as me.”

Thorin shot her a quizzical look. “Why are you here?”

Lothiriel leant her chin in her hand and looked at him casually. “Because you need help, Thorin Oakenshield.”

Thorin had been looking at her bemused, but he looked at her even more so because of the words she had spoken. He stared up at her and she equalled his gaze with unblinking eyes. A light smile appeared on her face as if challenging him to contradict her words, how could he?

Lothiriel continued to smile at him as she clambered down from her rock and walked back over to the fire. Thorin stared at the place she was sitting before turning his head and looking over at her. There was a strange comfort that came from such honest words.

Pushing himself up he walked over and sat down by her side. She smiled and gave a curt nod, it seemed that they had reached a mutual understanding.

For the second time in the evening Lothiriel lifted her gloved hands up and warmed them by the fire. She glanced up at the darkened sky with its low hanging moon which shone out so brightly amongst the sea of stars.

While the two of them sat in silence, to the side Bilbo and Bofur looked at each other, both Fili and Kili narrowed their eyes slightly, and everyone else laid sleeping soundly on their makeshift beds.

----

“I told Thorin of the detour, by the way.” Gandalf turned in his saddle and watched as Lothiriel's pony slowly trotted beside him.

“Oh?” He asked comically.

“He is not happy with it, not that I wholly blame him because I am not happy either.” Lothiriel said quietly so only he could hear. Despite her quiet tone, her expression was one of worry. She was worried for many things. She wasn't exactly the happiest person right now, not with returning home, that worried her greatly. What also worried her was the information which Gandalf had shared with her when they met.

A shadow was growing in the East. Something had been moving under the watchful eyes of Middle-Earth's guardians, and he wanted to know what that 'something' was.

“I do not understand the fear and hesitance you have towards your own kin.” Gandalf sighed heavily, he was struck down by her lack of confidence.

Lothiriel's eyes narrowed. “They are not my kin. My kin would not allow a liar to turn their minds. But you know what? They did, my uncle overthrew my father and made me out to be the traitor. My kin hunt me because of this and these orders are coming from the mouth of a liar.” At this point Lothiriel was glaring darkly at the road ahead. “My father, he would be proud that I am here. My uncle, will twist and turn this situation and poison my kin with tales of untruth.”

“Do you doubt it?” Gandalf asked looking down at her.

Lothiriel's disposition changed. She went from rigid and full of tension, to relaxed and oddly exhausted. “I do not doubt that I am here doing the right thing, which is something my father would be so proud of, I know it.” She said again with more surely. “But...to go back will be to face death and challenge it head on.” Lothiriel looked up at him sadly. “I've narrowly missed being caught several times, you know?” She smiled cynically. “My uncle has killed my brothers, my sisters, and my friends. My father is alive, but I do not know to what end. Listen, Gandalf.” Lothiriel looked up at him. “The Nymph's you seek to question, are not the Nymphs that they once were. They have been poisoned, mind as well as spirit I do not doubt.” She paused and pushed a blond curl behind her ear. “It was but a day before I met you that I had been exiled.” She gave a heavy sigh. “I do not know what has become of my father...” she said unsure. It was clear she wished for him to still be alive.