Different Sense: 25

“I did not take him for one to talk about the matters of the heart.” Lothiriel whispered, leaning close so only Balin could hear her words.

“Oh,” came the short response. “We have known each other for a long time now.” There was a fond smile appearing on his face.

“I can't believe Bilbo told you all.” Lothiriel huffed while tightly crossing her arms.

Balin laid a caring hand on her shoulder. “It was going to become apparent sooner or later, lass.” Lothiriel glanced at him quickly, she didn't seem bought on his words. “Shall I tell you a little secret?”

“Do I have to swear never to tell a soul?”

Balin chuckled and shook his head. “No.” He glanced at the thick leaves above them before looking back at her. “I do not think we have seen Thorin this happy for a long time. Sure, outwardly at the moment he does not seem like it. But inside is another story.” Balin paused thoughtfully. “It is almost like Erebor isn't such a dire need as it once was. I realise this may be due to the fact that he had nothing else to care for besides his family. But you know, that has changed.” Balin looked at her. “He has you now.” Lothiriel raised her eyebrows and looked at him. “Despite the actions we may have sent towards you this morning, we are not laughing at you or jesting; we are happy. We are happy that you are with us.” Balin quickly looked at her again. He suddenly became serious as his expression drew into one of concentration.

“If you do not mind me saying, you do not say much about most things. Least of all things which involve emotions.” He paused hesitantly. “Do you feel the same?”

Lothiriel's head tilted to the side thoughtfully. She recounted the times that they had spent together, talked together. She even let out a chuckle at their slightly awkward first encounter.

Balin smiled slowly, “Anything?”

Continuing to think she entwined her hands together and looked around for inspiration for an answer. Looking at Balin, she gave a wink before darting forwards and easily stopping beside Thorin. He glanced down at her sudden appearance, whereas Lothiriel smiled and put her hands behind her head and looked skywards.

Balin gave another long sigh and shook his head; “Young love.” His words caused Bombur, who was slowly walking beside him now, to let out a short laugh and a grin.

---- 

While Balin and Lothiriel were seemingly having a minor heart to heart, Thorin was walking steadily forwards. There was an odd sense of happiness and pride dwelling within him. It was bizarre, through who he was Thorin had naturally had arranged marriages pushed on him. This was something which his grandfather had put him through numerous times, Thorin had declined each and every one of them. There was no guilt in rejecting the proposals, but the disappointment was evident on his grandfather's expression whenever he did decline someone. It was bizarre to go after someone who wasn't being – for the better word – pushed in his direction.

Thorin, like most dwarves, were proud of the things he did and due to his character he was extremely strong willed and more than adamant that he was not going to marry someone for the sake of a bloodline. Even more so if he had no interest in them.

When this thought sprung to the forefront of his mind Lothiriel had appeared by his side. He glanced down at her, while she gave him a smile and commenced walking beside him with her hands behind her head. Her smile slipped as her eyes gazed to the side, Thorin frowned and stopped.

Him stopping caused Dwalin to bowl into him, he had tried to stop but failed. Thorin braced himself against the impact, yet took a step forward. “Why are you stopping?” Dwalin asked while managing to regain his position.

Lothiriel's hands fell to her side as she stepped beside Thorin. “What is that?” He questioned. He, as well as everyone else now, had noticed the light which Lothiriel had spotted first.

“That is strange.” Lothiriel commented.

“What's a light doing in the forest?” Bilbo asked quietly.

“We should go look, if it's someone we can ask for more food. We barely have enough to last us another day.” Ori commented.

“No,” Thorin frowned, his tone was blunt. “We are not to leave the path. You all heard the words which Gandalf spoke. We best keep moving.”

“Hold up,” Balin said stopping Thorin in mid turn. “Ori is right. We need to know how much further we need to go before we reach the end.” He paused. “Or else we will run out of food and water, there's no avoiding that.”

“What do you propose, Balin?” Thorin looked at him interestedly.

Balin in turn moved his gaze to Lothiriel. “Can you climb the tree and have a look?”

“Sure!” Lothiriel grinned, she wasn't one for bragging but she was pretty good at climbing.

Although she was more than pleased about getting a task handed to her, Thorin was not. “Her feet are fine on the ground. Send Mr Baggins.” He looked at Bilbo. “If he wouldn't mind?”

Bilbo's shoulders sagged slightly. “No, Mr Baggins wouldn't mind at all, not in the slightest.” He pottered towards the tree. It was huge, there was no way he could scale it on his own. Looking sideward he looked to Bombur. “Do you mind?” He pointed to the tree.

Bombur allowed Bilbo to climb up onto his shoulders and reach for the first branch he could grasp onto. From getting a good grip he managed to pull himself up, although he wriggled his legs quite a bit as if that'd help him.