Different Sense: 35

“So you are the Hobbit and Nymph.” Bard's voice sounded out from behind them, Bilbo and Lothiriel flinched and looked up at the man. The tone of his voice was one which neither of them approved of.

“I am Bilbo Baggins of Bag-End, Hobbiton if you don't mind I would prefer to be called by my name, not by Hobbit, although yes I am one.” Bilbo said strongly and daringly.

“I am Lothiriel, Daughter of Durion, and Lady of the Boscage. You do not see us referring to you as Man of Lake Town, so please use our names.”

“Bard, if you both don't mind.” He bowed a small patronising smile on his face. “I apologise for my rude behaviour. You are Bilbo Baggins, of Bag-End, Hob-” his eyes narrowed, Bard had already seemingly forgotten where Bilbo had come from.

“-biton,” Bilbo finished for him.

“Right, I apologise again.” Bard said, he didn't even take up the challenge of conquering Lothiriel's introduction. “You are both very brave to take on such a task.” Bard paused, “That or you're both very foolish.”

“We're probably both, Bard of Lake Town.” Bilbo said while looking to Lothiriel, she nodded agreeing.

“Bard suits just fine, Mr Baggins.”

“So does Bilbo.” Bilbo said sharply while looking quickly at Lothiriel. She nodded slyly sideward and the two picked up walking away.

“It's a very lonely place isn't it?” They stopped when Bard spoke. They looked to see him staring up at the mountain.

“Yes,” Lothiriel frowned. “I suppose it is.”

“Well, it was named well then. I am positive though, that you and your brave comrades can reclaim it though.”

“Are you mocking us?”

“Sarcasm,” Lothiriel quickly noted after Bilbo had spoken.

Bard shook his head. “This quest seems impossible. Your leader, Thorin Oakenshield, is leading you all into danger. He is a noble and brave dwarf, and in the way of things; he does have the right to try and reclaim his lost kingdom. But, at what cost?” Bard glanced at the two of them. “A group of fifteen, thirteen dwarves, some of which are not as psychical as they once were, and some who’s cunning has dwindled. A nymph and a hobbit, both of which look new to the customs of war and death. What will come of Lake Town, I wonder, once you have reclaimed the mountain?” There was sheer contempt in Bard's tone as he spoke. “It seems so...”

“Foolish.” Bilbo said quietly.

“I fear the word is perhaps overused in a conversation such as this.”

“We do not know what will become of Lake Town, though I highly doubt Thorin will crush it.” Lothiriel said while crossing her arms. Bard looked down at her and frowned at her challenging tone. “Otherwise our foolish group wouldn't be as brave as we are, if we weren't.” She smiled.

“All right,” Bard said while waving a hand at her. “Otherwise, well...let's be honest, you do all stand out. But I suppose, you all have taken on many challenges before and have come out victorious. Maybe you are worthy. Especially you and the Hobbit.”

“Bilbo.” He said annoyed, he was adamant that Bard was forgetting his name on purpose just to annoy him.

“Bilbo,” Bard shrugged. “We almost missed out the last member of your group. Where is the sixteenth member? He has been gone for quite some time, I heard he is returning.”

“Tomorrow night.” Bilbo answered shortly.

“I'll take a bet and say now.”

“Huh?” Lothiriel raised her eyebrows.

Bard only gestured towards the tall figure of Gandalf as he emerged from the trees. “Your wizard is early.”

“A wizard is never late. Nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means too.” Bilbo grinned.

----

“Good morning,” Gandalf said while walking into the hall where the dwarves were still sitting talking. The wizard strolled through the doorway with a small smile on his face. Everyone looked surprised to see him here. Bilbo and Lothiriel trailed behind him with their small quick steps.

“I heard of your adventures in the forest. I remember telling you to not trail away from the path.” Gandalf said while his gaze rested on Lothiriel.

“We were starving, and we had rope.” She defended weakly.

“Yes, and?”

“We needed food because we were starving.” Thorin intervened on their short conversation. If Lothiriel couldn't stand up to the wizard, then he would.

“So you left the path with the knowledge that if you found food, you would most probably become lost?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, because we were starving.”

“Is that honestly your only excuse? You left merely for the sake of finding more food?

“Because we were starving, yes that is my lone excuse.” Thorin replied stubbornly. Lothiriel placed a hand over her eyes, she could see where this was leading to.

“You should have eaten less than the already abnormal amount you dwarves are known to eat. Not to leave you two out either,” Gandalf looked at Bilbo and Lothiriel. They both narrowed their eyes up at him, he ignored their looks and turned back to Thorin. “You had enough, I made sure you had enough. I said that you would face hardships on this quest, but...you ate all the food in such a short amount of time!”

Bilbo and Lothiriel exchanged a look and peered around Gandalf to look at Thorin. They both wondered if he would stay true to his earlier words.

“Yes, we ate it all; because we were starving.”

Gandalf gave up at this point, he looked at the dwarves despairingly. Thorin just gave a sharp nod and crossed his arms. Lothiriel couldn't help but smile at the moment, Thorin's stubbornness against Gandalf's patience was truly a funny combination to witness. Although she would probably be one of the first to admit that his stubbornness could become very grating, but it was a part of his nature. There was no way to get rid of it, it made him who he was.