Different Sense: 43

Bilbo looked terrified again, Lothiriel stood beside him. He lifted his sword up shakily. Reaching out Lothiriel placed her hand against his cheek.

“Be brave, Bilbo, I know you can do it.” She smiled and moved away from him. Bilbo moved away too, Thorin watched them disappear. Turning he ran back towards Bard.

“What is it now, Dwarf King?” Bard asked angrily, he had all right to be angry. Thorin quickly explained his plan to him, Bard looked thoughtful throughout the whole explanation.

“All right,” Bard put a hand on his shoulder, he also grinned simply and shoved Thorin before getting ready. He turned and gave his signal to Lothiriel and Bilbo. He briefly watched them get to action and pulled out his own bow.

Lothiriel skipped, actually skipped, up to Smaug as casually as possible. She stopped as his head lowered, Lothiriel looked small at the best of times but right now she was like an ant. Smaug's mouth opened, and she nimbly ran away, she could be quicker than she usually was at running when she wanted. She easily ran here there and everywhere to try and get his attention. She didn't have any weapons drawn, what was the point when they were useless against him? She couldn't see his chest right now, so weapons would just be extra weight.

Skidding to a stop she whistled and pointed, on cue a volley of arrows shot at Smaug. Winking she jumped away just as the dragon vaulted upwards. The fire which was getting prepared to be let out shot into the air, a fiery stream trailed through the clouds.

His front claws scratched at the ground in front of him, needless to say Bilbo was whipped away from Smaug's tail. Bard shouted his order and Thorin drew his arrow back in his bow, one final inch and then let loose. Every person who wielded a bow let their arrows loose.

All the new volley of arrows seemed to make Smaug roar in anger again, there was pain lingering though. It did not take long as a combined concentrated attack, an arrow pierced Smaug and it struck him in such a place that he could not survive from it.

Smaug the Terrible of the Lonely Mountain, fell to the ground with such force that an echoing thud emanated silence from it.

Thorin dropped his bow, a heavy sigh came from him. As he recovered the people of Lake Town slowly emerged from their homes, and hiding places. They all stared at the lifeless body of Smaug, his golden eyes which were wide open, and the traces of shock was still evident in them.

Thorin moved forwards to look more closely at what they had done. Seeing as how all his comrades were fine, he examined the body.

“So, Dwarf King.” Thorin turned and looked to see Bard staring blandly down at Smaug.

“So Bard.” Thorin countered with a frown. He turned so he fully faced him, he waited for whatever it was Bard had intended to say. Bilbo shuffled slowly up to them, Bard couldn’t help but smirk. The bottom of his trousers had caught alight earlier on. There were a few holes, and traces of smoke still coming from his clothes.

“I see we all bear the effects of a good battle today.”

“Good?!” Bilbo exclaimed. “All he got was a good part of my backside!” He complained while turning to try and see the back of his trousers.

Thorin rolled his eyes, ignoring the hobbit's protests. “So you are not angry, Bard of Lake Town?”

“Hm?” Bard's dark eyes rolled, his smile faded a little. “No, me; angry? No, not at all. It is not like I knew this was going to happen, or you for that matter. I seriously should have asked you to reconsider, how foolish of me though for I thought you wouldn't need my lecture. But look at our town, it is nearly all ashes.” Bard said, he turned then frowning darkly down at Thorin. “How dare you put our town in danger for your benefit! You chose to endanger our gentle way of living to regain your Mountain, and you knew full well that this would be the consequence! But, worse yet; you had this all planned out from the get go and you don't plan to do anything about it afterwards!”

Thorin looked up at him, eyes narrowing with each word. “Bard,” Bilbo said hesitantly while stepping forwards. His words and actions got shot down by Bard's dark glare. “Listen, we knew that your town would be in danger. We all thought it through and well, you see the thing is...we just didn't have a choice...”

“Sorry, what? You didn't have a choice?” Bard laughed cynically. “No, Mr Baggins no that will not do. You had all the choices in Middle-Earth! But you all chose for the most convenient option!”

“We considered you for a long time,” Thorin said honestly but sternly. It was true, at the camp fire after their first hike they had all conversed about Lake Town and what was likely to happen to it. “I hope that you will accept our help in rebuilding your town. It is not unrepairable.”

“It's close to it though.”

“True, but not enough.” By this point everyone had gathered around them.

Lothiriel had swung past a few people and jumped to stand beside her friends. Bard looked at her and sighed. “We shall accept your help, but do not think that the Town Master will help you with this oncoming war. I have other things to deal with.” He turned his back, more importantly on Thorin.

The dwarf was about to retort but Gandalf stepped between them. “Bard! We are all so deeply sorry, we all know that we have wronged you. But please, do not abandon us on the eve of battle.”

Bard frowned and looked at the wizard, he looked around and then back at him. “You abandon us to this fate,” he gestured to the crumbling town again. Leaning forward he nodded, “You have an army of sorts anyway.” He referred to the nymphs, who all narrowed their eyes up at him.

The Town Master appeared from the crowd then, Bard stepped back behind him. “You ignored our words! Our requests! You bought fire to our homes when we offered you nothing but kindness!”

Gandalf narrowed his eyes at the man. “For your benefit, Town Master, quieten your words. It is Bard who I wish to converse with.”

“Bard is not the Master here.” The Town Master defended sharply.

“He is more of a Master than you will ever hope to be.” Gandalf hissed. “Thorin and his company have defeated the dragon Smaug, you no longer have to live in fear. You should all be proud, feel proud of your people for helping. We aided each other and with this, you should be embracing these dwarves; they are heroes. They regard you for your help, they needed it when you gave it up so willingly.” Gandalf paused. “There was always going to be some damage, of this much you knew prior to this moment. Damage happens when one is in the business of battling a dragon. Do not turn from this fight, for the damage we have caused I assure you that if you do not take up arms and fight now; the damage which will follow will be far worse.”

The Town Master frowned deeply and turned away shaking his head. “You fight this alone, Bard.” He looked up at the man. “Show them to the gates and make sure they never return.”