Different Sense: 22

Hearing the quiet clatter of pots and pans, Thorin opened his eyes slowly. From his laying position he watched as Bilbo and Lothiriel took to gathering things for breakfast.

Pushing himself up caused them to stare over in his direction. “You're both on breakfast duty now?” Thorin asked.

Bilbo looked at him rather blankly whereas Lothiriel gave a curt nod. “I told Bofur I’d do breakfast this morning.” Bilbo explained.

Lothiriel held her hand up. “I just happened to be awake.” She stated simply, her words cut off a stare down between the hobbit and dwarf. “We need food, and I do not wholly trust Bilbo to go out in search for any.” She looked at him apologetically.

“I understand completely.” Bilbo seemed to wholly agree with her while continuing to get things ready.

Lothiriel clapped her hands together, reaching down she strapped her weapons to her and turned to walk off, thus leaving the camp and the only two awake members.

It was several minutes before Lothiriel reappeared and lifted her arm up. “Who likes rabbit?” She smiled lightly while walking over to Bilbo, he eyed the rabbits oddly before looking up at her. Rolling her eyes she took them back and sat down. Pulling out a smaller knife she took to preparing it.

It was more than clear that Bilbo had no clue how to do so, while she was busying herself with the rabbits, Bilbo had gone about his business getting the fire ready and bowls out.

There was no conversations, although Lothiriel did notice how both Bilbo and Thorin would occasionally glance at each other, or one would glance at her while the other was staring skyward. It was awkward to say the least.

Thorin sat and watched as Lothiriel busied herself. She looked exhausted. It was clear that she wasn't exactly sleeping well or if at all. Obviously the effects of Eryn Vorn were not going to leave her alone, not yet anyway. This caused Thorin to frown, he had almost forgotten about the Nymphs. They were more of a threat than he originally thought. Because they were harbouring someone who had been banished forever, they were no doubt enemies and outlaws in their eyes.

Rolling his eyes, Thorin's train of thought moved away from them and more to the hobbit. Lothiriel tried as hard as she could to defend him. It would have been endearing if it weren't slightly annoying to him. She persisted that there was much more to Bilbo than what Thorin originally wanted to register. Regardless of this all, and as much as he disliked to admit it; Lothiriel was right. There were ample opportunities for Bilbo to scamper off home, yet he didn't. He was still here, and he still wished to help in whatever way he could.

Truth be told, he hadn't helped much so far, but he was definitely determined enough to show his worth amongst the group. After all, he never actually asked for anyone to keep an eye on him. Everyone just did because he was smaller and unaccustomed to the dangers of Middle-Earth. But despite this, when he was on his own in Goblin Town he had got out without much damage and anyone's help.

“Bilbo,” the hobbit paused what he was doing and looked up in surprise. It seemed he wasn't really expecting a conversation considering they'd been in silence for the last half hour. Even Lothiriel looked up interestedly. Whereas Bilbo looked on in mild surprised, Thorin on the other hand was as far from willing to admit to his faults as anyone could possibly be.

“I am sorry I doubted you.” He stood and made his way over. Bilbo looked up at him, the hardened glint in his eyes had dwindled by now. “You are more than what I have allowed you to be. You returned when I surely thought you were gone.” Thorin paused. “I understand now.” The King held out his hand as an act of respect, there was also the slightest trace of a light smile too. Bilbo leapt up from his crouching position and placed his hand in Thorin's.

“If it's any consolation, I would have doubted me too.” Bilbo shrugged casually. “I'm not a hero, nor am I a traveller...and definitely not a burglar.”

“No,” Thorin said.

“I suppose we'll see to that though when the time comes, no?” Lothiriel voiced, both the males looked down at her. She was looking up at them with a dreamy expression, she was happy that'd finally reached a mutual understanding. It was obvious that both of them had forgotten that she was awake and present at the time of this short conversation.

Thorin nodded agreeing and looked back at Bilbo. “You are a loyal companion though, Mr Baggins. I cannot ask more of a friend than that.” Bilbo's expression turned to one full of happiness and some other emotion close to sadness, happy sadness. Thorin could tell it meant a lot to him to hear this. Turning away he sat back down and left the two to their business. Making amends felt better than what Thorin had originally thought. He looked up as Lothiriel had patted Bilbo on the head as his happy-sad moment seemed to still be going on and he had been momentarily distracted from making breakfast. Bilbo was a brave little fellow, but he was also rather sensitive.

 ----

The day was warm, not to warm but warm enough to make the journey feel a little more pleasant. Slowly they made their way over rocks and hills, through small streams and fallen trees. Compared to their previous treks, this one seemed rather simple and easy. Gandalf led them puffing at his pipe as he casually walked on, there was a relaxed expression on his face.

The Lonely Mountain came into view as they reached the peak of a certain hill. White clouds hung loosely in the sky, these clouds mindlessly drifted across the blue canvas above them.

“That is the Lonely Mountain?” Lothiriel voiced quietly. “It's...” she tilted her head to the side. Her eyes skimmed over the woodland before them, the clouds in the sky and the light which made the mountainside give off a particular haze. “Oddly beautiful.” She said with a small nod. There was an edge to her tone though.

Through the forest lay Lake Town, from Lake Town it was Smaug the terrible dragon of the Lonely Mountain. Things were not going to continue to be easy, unlike the trek up the hill.

Everyone had hopes that things went smoothly, but the real fight would naturally be against the dragon. This thought could continue to plague everyone as they continued on.

Gandalf stopped when they reached the edge of the forest. Balin looked up at him confused. “Is everything all right?”

“Yes, it is my dear Balin.” He smiled down at the old dwarf before turning and glancing at them all. “But this is where I leave you to make your own way. Stick to the path and stick to each other.”

Thorin was about to disagree, he only got stopped by Lothiriel putting a hand on his forearm, her hand travelled down and she slowly slipped her hand into his. There was also a light frown on her face as she shook her head slowly.

“Where are you going?” Bilbo looked bemused.

“Don't you fret, Mr Baggins. You will all be fine. I have business back at Rivendell, business which I must attend too.” Gandalf blinked slowly, opening his eyes he looked at the group again. “Do as I say.” At this point he knelt down in front of Bilbo. “Remember, sometimes the smallest people have the most courage.” He gave a wink and bid them all farewell before making his way back through the foliage. His tall form was lost within minutes of a sea of green and branches.