Different Sense: 23

“All right,” Thorin said while feeling Lothiriel's hand slip from his. She would have fully retracted it if he didn't link his fingers with hers. Starting forward he tugged her along with him.

The group picked up walking and continued to walk as much as they could before Bombur collapsed on the floor. Arms outstretched and eyes shut. He shortly proclaimed that he could not walk any further.

Everyone else agreed with him and sat down too, despite Thorin trying to motivate them otherwise. He frowned when Kili and Fili both mentioned that it'd be a good idea to perhaps move on once they'd all eaten something.

But instead of eating and moving on, everyone instead commenced building a rough camp. It was a rather silent evening, brief conversations were lightly spoken in front of the fire. But nearly everyone was too tired to speak.

One by one the dwarves slowly drifted off to sleep. Lothiriel opted to take first watch, because who knew what still lurked in the forests at night. She looked a little startled when Thorin opted to accompany her. Noticing her reaction, Bilbo had offered to swap with either of them, but both stubbornly declined his offer.

Lothiriel leant her chin against her knees which were pulled to her chest. Her eyes flicked around. “I do not like this darkness.” She stated, for some reason the night here seemed so much darker than it did anywhere else.

“I do not think it is unsafe just yet.”

“Perhaps not at the moment,” Lothiriel gave him a sidelong look.

“Do you know of this forest?”

At this she straightened up. Looking around she looked over her shoulder and then back at him. She shook her head which caused his expression to dim. He was expecting her to answer yes, not the opposite with such a bemused look.

“No, you?”

“No.”

Lothiriel shook her head lightly, “My point exactly; how do you know it is unsafe yet?”

Thorin shrugged, he accepted her point. He didn't wish to get into a pointless argument. Lothiriel let out a short sigh. With a light pout she shuffled slowly closer to him and leant her head against his shoulder. She shut her eyes when she felt him rest his head against hers.

“Do you know many forests?” Thorin asked interestedly.

Lothiriel hummed thoughtfully. “My family, I mean my mothers, used to dwell in Fangorn. Other parts of my family travelled to and from Firien Wood.” Lothiriel paused. “Then...there's Ered Luin.”

Thorin perked up and looked down at her. “The Blue Mountains?”

“It is odd to admit, but yes.” Lothiriel tilted her face up to look at him. “I'm not sure who came from there if I’m to be honest. My family were quite vast.”

“You said that Eryn Vorn was a haven-”

“From man.” Lothiriel answered before he even asked. Thorin gave an understanding nod. “Do you think...?”

“No,” Thorin answered even before she asked. Her face tilted up again to look at him. He could tell she was going to ask whether the next few days were going to go simply. Of course they wouldn't, it'd be too much to ask if they did.

They sat in silence then, but they did quietly talk now and again. Looking up at the moon Lothiriel smiled, “I believe our watch is over with. I vote Fili and Kili to be next.” She grinned mischievously.

She moved away from him, and Thorin suddenly felt the cold of the night for the first time. It was odd at how much someone much smaller than him, could also give him so much warmth. He jumped back to reality when he felt a hand on his cheek. Slowly he turned to Lothiriel, she smiled.

“You were lost in thought, I was just saying that I’m going to wake Fili and Kili up.” She said, although her hand remained. Her fingers trailed slowly down, before her hand fully slipped away, Thorin reached up and curled his fingers around hers.

He in turn lifted his hand up a placed it hesitantly against her cheek. She shut her eyes but flinched slightly when he leant his forehead against hers. Her amber eyes opened and she looked up, there was a content expression which flitted across Thorin's face.

Lothiriel wasn't used to her personal space being shared with another, she turned her head away slowly. Her hand got set free, only for his hand to turn her face back to him. Uncertainty flooded through her, but Thorin's always evident kingly confidence washed the uncertainty away when his lips gently pressed against hers.