Different Sense: 34

Lothiriel appeared a few minutes after this comment. She looked up unamused, sitting happily perched amongst her hair was a small bird. It chirped and looked around. Despite her expression her mere appearance caused Dwalin to laugh, and Bilbo to hide his face in his hands.

She sat opposite to Bilbo and smiled. “You all right?”

“Y-yes, you?” Bilbo said awkwardly, he could see from the corner of his eyes that Dwalin was trying hard not to laugh.

“I'm good, thank you. How did you sleep?”

“Wonderfully, and you?” That was it, Bilbo slapped a hand to his mouth, his eyes widened, and Dwalin burst into loud laughter from beside him, the dwarf almost fell off his chair. Bilbo was struck by his idiocy of asking an automatic question. It was one he honestly didn't want to ask, but it happened regardless.

“All right...I guess,” she narrowed her eyes suspiciously at Dwalin and then at Bilbo. “Why is he laughing so much?” Bilbo avoided answering and gave a shrug. He tried to return to his breakfast but Lothiriel narrowed her eyes at him again. “Bilbo, what is he laughing at?”

“I don't know.” He took a bite out of a piece of bacon.

“Mr Baggins.”

“I really don't know!”

“I really don't believe you.”

“He,” Dwalin started. His breathing was out of control and he was finding it exceedingly hard to get it back under control, as well as his chuckles. “We told him you had spent the night in Thorin's bed.” He found composure for a brief second to rush this out before laughing again. “You should have seen his face!”

“Who is 'we', you and...?” Lothiriel questioned.

Dwalin laughed again and pointed to Thorin, it seemed he really couldn't find his voice again for the moment. Dwalin placed his head in his hands and laughed slowly.

She slapped a hand to her forehead when all she received from Thorin was a simple gaze. Pinching the bridge of her nose she smiled, her smile soon led to a small giggle too. “Bilbo, you needn't worry. There is no need to be embarrassed,” Lothiriel pointed upwards. “I was talking with an old friend.” The bird chirped and flapped its wings.

Bilbo's expression suddenly turned more composed. He felt relief from her answering. She did let out a quiet chuckle at him, but she didn't laugh to the extent that Dwalin did. It had to be admitted, that it was a strange sight to see Dwalin so cheery through all his laughter.

Dwalin wasn't the only one who may have changed slightly. Thorin was slowly changing in character too. He smiled discreetly more every day, Dwalin was still laughing himself into a fit and Thorin just sat there smiling at his friend doing so.

Change was pleasant, it was good to see. Bilbo looked around the group, he could never imagine he'd be in a place like this, with company such as this. Fili and Kili sat nearby playing a game and conversing. Bifur was attempting to get something from the fruit bowl, but Bombur was in possession of the bowl and looked highly unlikely to relinquish it. Thorin was having an in depth talk with Balin, Lothiriel sat beside him now and she was eating her breakfast slowly. She gave him a small smile when he rested his hand on the small of her back.

Bilbo felt content and relaxed with his company. They all seemed so unafraid, they all seemed to relish in the fact that they had another day or so to simply live without worry.

---- 

“Aye, aye,” Bilbo stopped and looked around. He was exploring Lake Town, when he was crossing over a patch of woodland, close to the one they had ventured from, he looked around confused. “Up here.” Bilbo's eyes looked up, Lothiriel sat leaning against the tree trunk she was in.

“What are you doing up there?”

“Pondering.” She looked down at him, “Do you want to come up?” She smiled, Bilbo held his hands up and shook his head. He didn't wish to climb anymore trees. Lothiriel laughed, “I shall come down then. It is rude to not be able to look someone in the eye when you are talking to them.” Lothiriel climbed down the tree with such ease that Bilbo actually felt jealous. Well, he did until he realised that her whole life was spent in and around trees. Landing on the ground she patted herself down.

“What were you pondering over?” Bilbo asked curiously, she eyed him up.

“Hm,” Lothiriel said dryly. “I am not sure whether to say.”

“Is it bad news, then?”

“It is news...which could be perceived as such, in some light I suppose.” Lothiriel said, Bilbo blinked confused at her words. He was going to voice another question when several birds appeared and started to tug at Lothiriel, her hair, her clothes, anything they could get their beaks on. She exclaimed a word in her native tongue and waved her arms. The birds chirped sharply and flew into the trees.

Bilbo opened and shut his mouth. “Eh...I get the feeling they like you.”

Lothiriel smiled. “Faelon,” she said. “Was one of the riders who chased us, you don't know him because you were hiding...you sneaky fellow.” She winked. “He is in contact with Eruharen, remember him?” Bilbo gave a nod. “Since our venture into Eryn Vorn and since leaving things have shifted.”

“Shifted how?”

“You see,” Lothiriel said while walking away, Bilbo followed quickly after her. “My uncle is a usurper, I am to rule Eryn Vorn, and it seems that since my uncle has failed to control the after-effects of our actions, the people have rose up against him.” Lothiriel ran a hand through her loose hair, for once she hadn't got it plaited up.

Bilbo suddenly caught onto her words. Running so he was in front of her he shook his head. “This is bad timing!”

“I know!”

“What are you going to do?”

“I don't know! What should I do?”

“Well...wait! Why are you asking me?”

“Because you're my friend! I do not have an advisor nearby at the moment, so you'll have to suffice.” Lothiriel said while blinking her large eyes at him.