Chapter 44

Chapter 44

“Utau…Utau!” Katsuo waves his arms in front of my face. “Earth to Uta…” I grab one arm and twist it behind his back before he can finish his sentence.

“What?” I ask grumpily.

“owww…” He complains and struggles against my grip, making it worse.

I sigh and release him.

“What is it?”

“Well, Utau. Your lovely friends here were just telling me of your predicament and I have devised a plan!” Scar says, his voice dripping with sarcasm on “Lovely”.

“What?” I ask again, my tone the same.

“Weell… I will tell you only if you admit that if it weren’t for me on that mission you would have died!” He says loudly. “That Chinese woman would have killed you!” His voice taking on an annoyingly cheery tone.

I growl lowly.

“I would have been fine without you.” I hiss.

“Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile me and my genius plan will be walking out the door so see ya!”

“Wait! ...Fine…if it weren’t for you I would have died…” I mumble.

“See? That wasn’t so hard, admitting the truth.” Scar says with a beaming grin on his face, a sour comparison to my frown.

“Now here is the plan…”

I pace the docks impatiently, passersby’s bowing low before me then scrambling away.

I crane my neck over my shoulder to get a glance at the clock hanging on the wall of a storage shed.

I sigh and stop my pacing.

“He is late.”

“I know how much you love it when people are late…” Amaya comments.

‘Shut up Amaya.’ I command harshly, my patience wearing thin.

“Aha!” A boisterous voice echoes down the dock. “You must be the famous Crimson Snow Rose!” At the mention of my name anyone nearby scurries into hiding.

I shield the setting sun from my eyes to get a better look at the fool.

His greasy black hair blows in the wind as he runs down the docks, his pale cheeks flushed.

He skids to a stop in front of me and gives me a crooked smile.

His nose reminds me of a crow’s beak, fitting with the rest of his slimy looks.

He runs his thumb down his nose and widens his smile.

“Wowey! Nobody told me you were so good looking!”

I punch him and grin as he goes flying to the ground.

“Nice way to greet your teammate…”He mutters as he holds his nose.

My eyes narrow.

“You’re Chikako?” I raise my eyebrows as he nods.

“Duh, now let’s get on with this mission and get off this island.” He gives me a wary look before heading down the docks toward the awaiting ship.

“Really Chikako? You are trying my patience, and it’s already worn pretty thin after spending weeks in a boat with you…”

He just grins and continues cartwheeling down the docks.