Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The next morning I head out to the waterfall that flows on the western side of the village wall.

Our village is surrounded by a strong red stone wall protected by many experienced ninja. At the back of the village is a large red stone cliff that spans beyond the village boundaries for many miles. The waterfall runs down that cliff.

On the other side of the village is forest. The forest span is large and goes around to the front of the village.

At last I reach the waterfall. I glance around and see that nobody is here yet. I settle down in the grass by the pool that the waterfall runs into.

The pool is not small but not large either. Around the pool growing thickly is emerald green grass. The grass goes as far as the eye can see. When I was younger Shizuka used to take me out on the plains for picnics and we would spend the day exploring and picking wildflowers.

I sigh, missing those days.

A slight noise comes from the direction of the nearby forest. I jump up and pull out a kunai. I relax when I realize it is my mother.

“You are late.” I say, trying not to grin.

“It is you who are early.” My mother replies. Her smile matching the one that was spreading its way across my face.  Those words had always signaled the start of my training session.

Reiko slides her katana out of its sheath and throws it at me. I duck and the family heirloom lands sticking in the grass by the pool. I take my katana out and stick it in the ground by hers. I place my ninja pouch next to it. My mother tosses me hers and I place it by mine. When we are weaponless we walk out onto the water, using chakra to stay above the water.  Reiko raises her hands. I do the same. Water swirls around us, smoothing out to create a floating battlefield. 

My mother bows low. I bow back. When I straighten out I notice my mother’s hands rising again. I raise mine to deflect the blow which I know is coming.  I am still surprised when rock from the cliff bursts through my wall of water. The boulder hits me square in the stomach. I fly backwards, almost falling off the water platform. My expression turns serious.  I flick my wrist and watch as my mother deflects the burst of wind I threw at her easily. I close my eyes for a moment then raise my palms. Fire circles me. I point at Reiko and the fire leaves me, traveling the path my finger points out. I see my mother smile proudly before blowing the fire back in my direction. Fear fills me and I fall through the water platform, forgetting to keep chakra in my feet, something I do when I panic. I fall into the pool.

 I swim back up to the surface, gasping for breath. When I climb out of the pool I feel the water leaving my clothes. I smile at my mother gratefully. Reiko is standing on the grass now, the platform gone. I flinch when I notice her frown.

“You almost had it this time, Utau.”

“I know… that was the first time I have been able to control fire unaided. I got scared when you threw it back at me.” Reiko snorts unlady like.

“That much was obvious, Utau.” I hang my head in shame.

Reiko comes and sits down in the grass besides me. She puts her arm around my shoulders.

“You will get it next time, sweet.” I smile at my nickname.

“Remember, you are far advanced for an 11 year old. No one else in the history of the Himura’s has awakened their Kekkei Genkai at age 4. I am proud of you. Other children your age have only just awoken the Yoso Seigyo.”

I smile again and lean against my mother’s shoulder.

The Yoso Seigyo is one of two of the Himura clans Kekkei Genkai. The Yoso Seigyo or Element control is the most common Kekkei Genkai among the Himura’s. Most likely because both male and female have awoken it. All the user has to do is raise his or her hands to activate it.When using the Yoso Seigyo, a faint golden tattoo will appear on the user’s body. The placement and the tattoo itself vary on the user. Some tattoos are darker than others.