Chapter 38

Chapter 38

I blink slowly. In my blurry vision I can see 4 figures walking away. Soon they disappear underneath the sun’s rays.

An explosion behind me makes me jump.

I turn to see the ground before me collapsing from the blast.

I whisper goodbye to the Akastuki and throw my cloak in the flames.

I watch as my past is buried along with the base in the dust, rubble, and flames.

I stand and walk away, not sparing one glance back.

I emerge from the shadows where I had been waiting.

“Utau!”

“Shh!” I say as I cover Akane’s mouth so she won’t alert anyone else of my presence in the village.

“Your back!” She whispers loudly into my hand.

I nod.

“Can we go somewhere more privet?” I ask, gesturing to the few drunkards and other nightgoers milling around the dark street.

“Yeah, of course. Where do you want to go?”

I think for a moment, considering my options.

“The cemetery. No one should bother us there.”

Akane shudders.

“It’s bad enough in daylight!” She complains.

“Don’t be such a baby.” I grip her wrist and pull her along, careful to keep my face hidden in the shadows of my new cape.

We reach the cemetery with no interruptions. Every step I take reminds me I don’t belong here.

Seeing the names on the well-kept tombstones is only further proof. Many of those names I put there. The sad part is I don’t even know which ones on most of them.

“Hey, you ok?” Akane asks.

“Yeah…” I shake my head, ridding it of thoughts of my past.

“I did it. I cut all ties with the Akastuki… and Akane, I realized there is something…almost familiar about their leader. And I am afraid to say I haven’t found the location of the staff.” I say all in one breath.

Akane looks on with sympathy in her eyes.

“I know how close you were to them, even if they were S ranked criminals.”

I nodded.

“Wait did you say familiar?” Akane shouts in her typical Akane way.

“Shh!” I cover her mouth quickly.

“No one can know I am here! Meaning you have to stay quiet, Akane. Got it?” I speak harshly.

She nods, her eyes wide.

“And yes, she seemed familiar…”

“She?” Akane whisper yells.

“Yes. She also said something about my memories still being foggy…I think she might be right.”

“What are we going to do now?”

“We have to get that staff no matter what.  The staff alone is powerful. If the Leader gets her hands on any of the other two objects then there is no telling what will happen. You remember what the other two did to me. That was nothing compared to what will happen if she gets all of the objects.”

She nods, her face a mask of indiscernible.

“What happens now?”

I start pacing, my brain working furiously to come up with a plan.