Prologue - Losing Everything In An Instant

This is my first story on Wattpad. Was a little nervous to post it up, but with my friends' encouragement, I decided to give it a chance. Hopefully you guys can give me a chance :)

Enjoy ~

Prologue: Harmony

***Two Years Ago***

            Drip, drop. Drip, drop. The rain crashed onto the side of my window as I stared out into the wet world in front of me. A thundering crash hollered in the distance. Streaked with tear stains, my face was emotionless and pale as if I was lifeless...which I was. A beep sounded from below as I saw Cassidy’s 1983 Volkswagen GTI pull up into the damp driveway. The red paint was chipping off, but she had other important things to do with her money than hit the body shop to add a fresh new coat.

            I turned around and gazed at my now empty room. I slowly dragged myself to take down the last photograph hanging on the once vivid blue wall; it just looked dark and eerie to me now. Bordered in a rusty gold frame laid a couple in their mid thirties with a small girl standing in between, her fingers intertwining with her parents’. Their backs faced the camera as a summer beach glow fell into the background.

            I balled my fingers into a fist, trying hard to resist punching the wall. Then the anger subsided as despair filled me again. I collapsed to the floor; the picture still clutched in my hands as my black hair shielded the tears, but not the sadness.

            Footsteps could be heard down the hall as they halted at the doorway.

            “Oh Harmony.” Cassidy’s voice rang into my ears. She quietly walked over to me and held me in her arms.

            “They’re gone aren’t they?” I whispered. The denial still lingered that this was just a realistic nightmare; that I would wake up and everything was going to be okay again.

            “Yes.” The three little letters shattered all hope. I couldn’t accept the fact; this wasn’t happening to me.

            “Cassidy why?”

            “You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. It’s not your fault.”

            “We were going to Wildwood Crest that day. It was our 15th year anniversary. My parents wanted to get there early to beat the rush and get a reserved spot with a perfect view of the ocean.  My dad and I were going to have a sand castle contest. I was the reigning champion, two years in the making. My mom had brought kites to fly into the sunset.” I said. Things that never got to happen because of one stupid mistake. Tears were still streaming down my cheeks.

            “Harmony, your parents are so proud of you right now. You are so strong and I know that you are going to get through this. They would want you to be happy.”

            “I know.” I replied softly.

Unraveling Harmonyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें