12 - The Façade's Over Harmony

^ Thanks for the cover (used as a side picture --->)

Comment, Fan, Vote, Enjoy ~

***

Chapter 12: Ryan

            Whistling to myself, I chucked a jacket over my shoulder as I made my way out the front door. A lopsided grin situated on my face while I unlocked the corvette and slid into the driver’s seat. I was about to meet Julie’s parents for the first time and I don’t think I’ve ever been more anxious or overly-excited my whole life.

            I headed in the direction of her house. She had told me to meet her family at Italiani Paradiso (A/N Italian Paradise), a classy Italian restaurant that recently opened in the middle of downtown and had a strict semi-formal code, where she had set reservations for six this evening, but I thought I’d unexpectedly show up at her house to catch her off guard. She needs a little surprise and happiness in her life, especially right now in the current state she’s been in.

            Lately, she seems out of focus, shock rendering her body stiff. Julie hasn’t said a word about what had happened even after I asked so many times. I barely saw this side of her: bottled-up feelings and emotions hidden beneath her heart without any intention of coming out to confess to the whole wide world. Something was wrong, anybody with a pair of crystal-clear eyes could see that, but I didn’t know why. I asked Kendall since he attends Colby and practically knows every rumor and gossip that grapevines through the school being a jock, but he wouldn’t let up about the subject, saying it was something that Julie had to tell me herself when the time was right. It hurt to see my Jewels, the girl I’ve fallen so deeply in love with, on the brink of falling off the deep end.

            I tried to manage in an hour of visiting her at Jonni’s diner every day just to keep her company. We’d usually sit in the back-corner booth, her fragile body wrapped in my arms with her head gently finding its perfect fit next to my always irregular loudly thumping heart. My fingers would stroke her hair, whispering words of comfort. We’d order coffee and nothing else. If we needed a refill, I’d just push the cup to the edge of the table and Riley would silently pour in three-fourths. We were left undisturbed, but it still wasn’t enough for Julie to be satisfied. She was at the point of breaking down every time I scooted in beside the lonely girl.

            I wanted to help, wanted her to be happy. If only she’d let me in; if only she’d trust me with her secrets. It’s been two months since we’ve been going out; wasn’t that enough time for her to be open with me about almost anything?

            Pulling up to the corner house that I’ve grown too familiar with, I sighed and put on my best happy face. I wasn’t going to do any better if I had an argument brewing in my back seat.

            “Just let everything go.” All thoughts slowly dissolved in the back of my mind. I raced up the front steps, hoping this would all pay off and I’d be able to see the one thing that I’ve been missing this past week: her smile.

            Ringing the doorbell, I was met with a redhead. She was slender and it obviously showed in a dark grey UCLA hoodie and a pair of slim dark jeans. She was surprised, noticeable in the way she was taken back. I guess she didn’t have a lot of strangers come by, but shouldn’t she know me at the very least? I’ve been here so many times, I’d lost count ages ago.

            “Um, who are you?” She bit her lip slightly. Cute, but right now, I had eyes only for Julie.

            “I’m Ryan Haven. Is Julie here?”

            “Oh the boyfriend. Why would she be here again?”

            “Doesn’t she live here?” I asked, uncertainty blurring my vision. How she answered my question was the last thing I’d expect: a fit of giggles. I thought she’d pass out from all that laughter. She seriously went a minute without breathing and she needed another one to gain it back.