8 - Slipping Away

Ello! I know it's been a long time....sorry!

Comment, Fan, Vote, Enjoy <3

***

Chapter 8 - Ryan

            “Where are we going? I hate surprises and you know that.” Jewels complained for what seemed like the hundredth time. Staring out at the window, clearly aggravated, I took the chance to smile. Wearing a thin one-shoulder wool beige long sleeve and navy jeans stuffed in a pair of sleek black knee high boots, she made beautiful seem so easy to achieve; she made taking my breath away a daily routine.

            “We're almost there. You're safe.” I reassured her that I wasn't going to drive into the woods and let Axe Man McGee take her under his wing. She was so cute when she was annoyed like a five year old wanting cheerios that had recently went out of stock on top of the fridge.

            "Wait, is this the way to the hospital?” Her loveable irritation was washed over by waves of seriousness. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her gulp and uncomfortable was expressed distinctively on her face. Nice choice Ryan of bringing your girlfriend to a place of grief and overwhelming sadness.

            “I'm sorry. I just wanted you to meet someone special to me. We don't have to go if you don't feel like it.” I said with a hint of worry echoing through my voice.

            “Who's so special that you want me to meet at a hospital?” She responded with her feisty tone.

            “My mom.” Blurting the words out, her face instantly fell from snappy to ashamed.

            “I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for what I said to come out so out of line and rude.” The regret flooded over her and I knew she felt truly sorry for the way she had handled the situation.  

            “It's okay.”

            “No it's not. It's just the hospital reminds me of some really painful memories I've tried to forget, but never could.”

            “Care to share?”

            “Too personal at the moment. Besides isn't your mom waiting?” She instantly changed the subject and before I could catch on, she had gotten out hurriedly from the car as soon as I put it on park.

            Julie was hiding something, has been since the beginning, but I haven't figured out what it was just yet. She was not an open book at all means; you can tell she has mastered keeping any secret or emotion enclosed inside of her and placing an almost indestructible shield over her heart. I was slowly picking at that wall and I'll be the one to make it crumble to my feet because Julie will finally open up and let go of all the past that's been eating away at her. She will open up to me and I'll be whatever savior she needs to move on.

            I retreated from the corvette and followed after her. It wasn't hard to find her in the crowded room; Julie was standing in the middle of the lobby, staring as if she was seeing the inside of a hospital for the first time. Strangers were looking on, but she barely paid any attention to the attention she was getting.