27 - Falling Right Back Into The Past

Can I get a raincheck for the day you want me to fall in love with you all over again? (<---I actually came up with that quote xD I'm so cool. =P)

Comment, Fan, Vote, Enjoy~

***

Chapter 27: Harmony

            “Daniel.” The name still sounded so wrong on my lips, but in a way it sounded right all the same when it shouldn't. I whispered the six lettered word to myself over again as I got dressed; the sight of him still vividly captured in the back of my mind.

            I thought leaving Rhode Island would rid me of the past, but it looked like it took the same flight with me to the west coast. It caught up to me when I tried so desperately to never relive it again, only this time it was a different boy, a different story with it's own mistakes. And to make matters worst, I was slowly letting that past back into me. Hell, I was going to eat breakfast with Daniel at this moment.

            Why? Why was I giving him the chance when he was the one who never looked back? Was it the overwhelming sight of him after all these years? The fact that he might have changed for the better? Or maybe it was because the fallout between Ryan and I had been too much and I needed comfort from someone, anyone even if it was the boy who was my first love, my first heartbreak.

            I'm not sure what instinct inside of me accepted the invitation, but here I was struggling to find the right clothes for the morning outing. Since when did I care what I looked like, especially when it was Daniel I was dressing for? I groaned into the nothingness, my head spinning from my thoughts boomeranging in every direction. As I pulled out a rosy pink spring dress from the bottom of my suitcase, the thoughts turned into images of everything that happened a couple of days ago.

            After the initial shock that Daniel was indeed standing right in front of me, he took me on a rollercoaster (which he somehow still remembered thrilled me). When the ride ended, he led me to a food cart on the pier and bought cotton candy that we both shared. It was like he never left, that once familiar feeling erupting inside of me, but I knew better.

            The two year span had been real. He did leave me and it had hurt like hell trying to move on, but here I was trying to tell myself that none of that happened, that I had a pocketful of second chances just begging to be used. Bouncing between relationships wasn't a good idea, but when did any of my other ideas go well?

            A knock on the door signaled Daniel's arrival and I hurriedly threw on the dress and shoved my feet in a pair of black flats. I walked up to the door as my hand contemplated whether or not it should open it. It was more than just letting Daniel in; I was going to let everything we used to be seep through me. I sighed, my fingers clasping onto the doorknob. Too many decisions I swear. I'm eighteen. Teenagers shouldn't be making such hard decisions.

            I pulled open the door and was met with a silly grin plastered on Daniel’s face. I couldn’t help myself but hear my heartbeat pick up. Gosh Harmony, pull yourself together. This is your ex we are talking about. He crushed everything you were and here you are blushing just by his presence? You’re utterly insane.

            “Hi.” I returned a small smile as he reached over to envelope me into an embrace. Immediately, a rush of emotions came at me at once and it was so hard not to fall into his arms even more than I already was at that moment. What the hell was I thinking? I wasn’t supposed to be feeling this way. Not at all. He broke promises. He shattered my heart. He turned me into a player. He made me pretend to be someone else for such a long time. Why was I forgiving him for all the hurt that he caused me?