28 - Crossroads

Comment, Fan, Vote, Enjoy~

***

Chapter 28: Ryan

            “Apartment 217. Apartment 217.” I muttered to myself as I scanned the placards on the doors of each home. My heart was banging out of my chest; whether it was from nervousness, excitement, or just pure insanity, I wouldn't know and frankly I didn't care at the moment. All that mattered was seeing Harmony and holding her back in my arms.

            I passed 215 and spotted 217 up in the distance. Everything has been leading up to this and I couldn't let her slip a third time. That just wasn't happening.

            As I approached the apartment, I noticed that the door was left ajar and the sounds of an acoustic guitar seeped out into the hallway. I smiled, imagining Harmony in my mind as the final notes were strummed and swallowed by a silence a moment later. It was now or never.

            My hand reached out to the door's frame and pushed against it slightly, ready and willing to do anything to win her heart back. Big mistake. Saying I was surprised was a big understatement. It was indescribable, this feeling that just hit me. And as they continued to kiss, oblivious to the fact that I was standing there, the situation just became even more unbearable. It was like a wave of shame just washed over and slapped me in the face, to say the least. And all I did, all I could to do was stare, stare at this stranger locking lips with Harmony.

            I guess the anger could no longer contain itself as my hand slammed the door against the wall, rattling the frame and sending Harmony and her kissing partner apart instantly. And that's when my heart sank and shattered completely.

            I've heard a lot about Daniel: decently handsome, a real charmer, and above all the boy who broke Harmony's heart, but I never thought I'd see him, especially in the position I caught him in. We weren't much different, I realized. I mean I was all those things, right down to the very last point, but I wasn't him. Not even close. And I guess that was the difference between having Harmony and losing her.

            “Ryan?” Harmony's voice trembled with wide eyes as if she was just caught in the midst of a crime she wasn't sure she committed. What did she do wrong? She was allowed to move on and I shouldn't be the one holding her back, but I was too selfish.

            I couldn't let her just fall right back to her ex; not when our relationship held too much to be given up without another try, another fight, another chance. But it wasn't my choice to make. It was our choice, one we had to make together, and she decided I wasn't worth her time and moment anymore the moment she let Daniel kissed her.

            “Ryan.” She repeated my name again and started walking towards me, regardless of Daniel's tug on her arm. She stopped inches in front of me and from where I was standing, I could inhale her familiar tangerine scent. “What are you doing here?” She whispered and I could see out of the corner of my eye Daniel who was currently very annoyed. Good.

            “I came to win you back, but clearly it's too late and you're already busy.”

            “You never texted, you never called, you didn't do anything. You're the one who let go of us.”

            “You told me not to.”

            “Well I don't mean half the things I say.”

            “I'm not a psychic Harmony. You made it pretty damn clear that you didn't want me anymore that day.”

            “Then why are you here now?”