15 - Scarlett Songs & Unwritten Letters

Comment, Fan, Vote, Enjoy ~

***

Chapter 15: Harmony

            Somehow I found myself on the front porch steps of Scarlett's house. I know I needed someone to talk to after almost of week of constant teasing, spit balls thrown my way,  my locker being grafftied every minute it seemed by Pricilla's followers, and spending my lunches in Cassidy's run down automobile to get away from it all, but I didn't know this solution involved seeing my ex-best friend especially at a time like this.

            “I'm so going to instantly regret this.” I muttered to myself, hesitantly hovering my hand over the doorbell. Does it still play Jingle Bells? I now wondered and before I knew what I was doing, I felt the cold metal prick my fingers as I pressed the little button. I heard the familiar holiday melody and I knew my guess had just be proven correct. Having Scarlett take me back after years of letting her down? Now that was a question I didn't know the answer to.

            I would soon find out as I spotted her petite figure bobbing in the thin vertical window frame adjacent to the door. Judging from the way she just stood there and stared out at the failure she used to call her best friend, I take it she was also surprised I was standing there in the doorway. Instead of bothering to talk to me, she just walked away without even coming into opening distance of the front door. Ouch, but I needed that invisible slap in the face.

            Trying hard to get her just to listen to me, I think I just might have broken the doorbell after I hit it for what probably was fifty times. By then, she had gotten irritated with the repetitive tune of her favorite Christmas carol that she swung the door so hard I thought it could've disconnected from it's hinges and fallen on me with a plop.

            “What the hell do you want Julie? Or should I call you Harmony?” She smirked and I knew I wasn't going to be given the shortcut route to the friendship hugs and happy endings; I had to fight for it.

            “Scarlett, can you just please hear me out?”

            “Oh so you think you can waltz back into my life, ask me for a second chance, and I'd instantly fall for your pathetic apologies?” I said almost those same words to Daniel when he thought he could take me back when I was stable enough to maintain a relationship. I guess I was also not stable enough to hold onto my friendship.

            “I'm sorry Scar.”

            “Sorry isn't going to cut it. It isn’t going to help you this time.” She snorted at my excuses.

            “Scarlett, I know I left you because I told you that you wouldn't understand and all this time I've been blaming our fragile friendship your fault, but the truth is it was all me. I didn't know how to handle losing two of my parents in a split second and watching them die right there in cold blood on that intersection while the suspect had the nerve to flee the scene.

            “I didn't know how to handle the misery and pain of the aftermath. I didn't know how to move on from this and that day when I told you I wanted nothing to do with you, it was because I couldn't drag you down with me. I was trying to save you. Well that’s what I was trying to do, but I guess it came out wrong and it seemed more like I just dumped you out onto the sidewalk without any intention of turning back.