16 - A Packaged Love

^ thanks for the lovely banner xxx

Comment, Fan, Vote, Enjoy~

***

Chapter 17: Ryan

            It’s closing in on two weeks since I last talked to Harmony, rather blew up in her face. I haven’t felt the same since then. I tried distracting my mind as many ways that I possibly could, but it wasn’t working. Nothing works without her.

            After enduring a day of red heart chocolate boxes, assorted colored roses, and couples who really needed to get a room, all I wanted to do was go home and sulk in my room. Maybe throw myself another pity party. Sliding the corvette into the right hand side of the driveway, I spotted a thin envelope propped up on my doorstep. Walking to the front door, I looked for a return address, but the package was blank except for four letters made bold: Ryan. I shook it, in case it was a bomb, but all I heard was paper clashing against an object.

            I cautiously took it in the house and up to my room, grabbing a letter opener from my dad’s office on the way. Throwing my backpack onto my desk, I unsealed the envelope and threw the contents on my bed. A tape and a crumpled letter fell out along with a bright pink post-it note stuck on the tape.

            Give her another chance. -Scarlett

            I thought Scarlett was not on speaking terms with her ex-best friend. With the curiosity getting to me, I went back down to pull out an old boom box from the garage before going back up. Settling it on a coffee table, I pushed the tape into the slot and hit play.

            “Fine, but only because you’re doing this against my will.” Harmony’s voice filled my room and suddenly, I felt my heart close up just a little as if hearing her was bringing the broken pieces together.

            “What song are you singing for us today Harmony?”

            “Whatever It Takes by Lifehouse.”

            “Ah, good song choice and what’s the special occasion I might ask?”

            “Really?”

            “Well our viewers don’t know!”

            “We are going to be the only viewers!” I guess Harmony doesn’t have the slightest clue that Scarlett, whoever she is to her, has sent this to me.

            “Because I lied to my boyfriend who I loved wholeheartedly and if I could change the past, I would rewrite it in an instant. I loved you Ryan, still do, but sadly you won’t be able to know because I’m a coward who can’t even face you without shaming myself. This is a song for you because that’s the only thing I know how to do right when I can’t put how I feel in my own words. I’ll try anything to win you back. I’ll try whatever it takes.” I closed my eyes, taking her words in. Then I heard her sing, something that brought me back to our first date at Jonni’s diner.

            “I’ll do whatever it takes/To turn this around/I know what’s at stake/I know that I’ve let you down. I’ll keep us together, I know you deserve better.” I heard her shake and the sobs that she was holding back. This was hard for her, expressing herself, and I felt wetness lining my own eyes. She was trying to tell me everything that she was feeling, that she still wanted me, but I was stepping back out of her picture, afraid of feeling that same hurt in me again.

            The song ended too quickly and as I was about to hit stop, a voice spoke.

            “Ryan, I hope you’re listening to this.” It was Scarlett. “Harmony meant everything she said, every tear was real, and every word was the truth. I hope you know that and that you still have it in your heart to forgive her. If the song wasn’t convincing enough that she’s sorry,” It has. “Read the letter attached. I found it stuck between pages of an old biology textbook when I went to her house. I don’t think she wanted anyone to read it, but you needed to know she still loves you. A lot.” Then the film stopped turning and I was met with silence.