Que Quowle

I was lying face down on the bed, as I told Jake all about Edward’s hostile attitude towards me, and how he was putting some of the blame on me, Jake ran his warm finger through my hair as he listened, and I knew if I could see his face there would only be anger at what I was telling him. “It’s not your fault babe, I promise you.” He reassured me, in his warm gentle voice. I really did love, Jacob more than words could describe.

“Jake, I- I don’t think I want to be mad at Rower, I miss him.” I admitted, and then immediately regretted it, because I knew Jacob hated Rower for almost taking me away from him. Jacob sighed, and lay down beside me, wrapping his arm around me he pulled me into him, as if to reassure himself I belonged souly to him. I kissed his chin and he smiled, as he licked my face playfully. I wrinkled my eyes, and laughed. “Maybe, you should forgive him then.” Jake said slowly. I closed my eyes, I could hear the pain in his voice, I knew Jake, and I knew h was the jealous type. “Jake?” I whispered. “Yeah baby?” he returned my whisper.

“You know I love you right.”

“Yes.”

“You know I wouldn’t choose Rower over you.”

“Wouldn’t you.”

“Not unless you did something soo bad I couldn’t forgive you.” I emphasised my sentence.

Jake squeezed me a little tighter. “I would never.”

I kissed his chest. “In that case we have nothing to worry about.”

I hadn’t wanted to, I wanted to stay with Jake forever, but he had his job to do, protecting everyone, and I had to go to school. Jake had said I should stay with him, and he would drive me to school every day. But that was no doubt a waste of petrol, when I lived so much closer. So instead he had organised one of the wolves to protect the house, while I was home, and I stayed there, cooking dinner for Charlie when he came home at the late hours after working and staying with Bella, I couldn’t bring myself to go see her again. I had agreed with Jake that I would wait until he could take me.

The first day of school since the accident was torture. There were whispers everywhere I went, the rumours were wild, some said Rower had purposely hit Bella, because she had come in the way between me and Him. Others said Bella had been attacked by a bear. One story even said Bella was already dead. I ignored them mostly, correcting people by saying she was very much alive, and got on with my day to day school life.

When I had class with Rower, he had put his bag in the chair I normally occupied, and when I walked into class, he tried to avoid all eye contact what so ever, I walked over and lifted his bag up, putting it on the floor I sat down. “Hi Rower.” I said dryly. I just didn’t know how to break the ice.

Rower nodded, then looked out the window. Miss, started the class, and for the first time, Rower didn’t cause any havoc, he didn’t even put his feet on the desk. He just stared blankly out the window, his face emotionless and his eyes a broken man. He use to have alcohol stickers all over his bag, but they were all gone now. I guess he didn’t like the idea of alcohol anymore. That night must have hit him hard. I tried to make conversation, but Miss just snapped at me to be quiet so in the end I gave up.

After class, I seriously thought I would be able to talk to him, but as soon as the bell rang, he got up and stormed from the room. I sighed and walked to my next class. Couldn’t he just start apologising nonstop? So I could forgive him already?   

At break, I sat at my usual table with everyone, no one brought up the crash, it was just normal conversation, but if anyone said anything to do with Cars, blood or hospitals there would be an awkward pause. Winter noticed me staring at Rower, who sat alone, at an empty table at the cafeteria looking at nothing, just a blank stare, a tray of food in front of him that he did not even touch. “He, he hasn’t sat or talked to any of us, since the accident.”

“Not even you?” Him and Winter were practically siblings.

“Especially not me.” She sighed. And that was the end of our conversation.

The only opportunity I had to talk to Rower came at the end of the day, as we left BIO. Rower, trying to avoid me, walked double pace.

“Rower can we talk.” I asked breathless trying to keep the pace.

“I don’t want to.” He brushed me off, not even looking at me.

“I’m sorry Rower.” I called but he ignored me. I tried again, still it was like talking to a mute.

He was almost at his Motor bike.

“Please, Rower, I’m sorry I said it was your fault!” I yelled desperately. People were staring but I didn’t care.

Rower turned to stare at me his expression livid.
“DON’T SAY SORRY! IT WAS MY FAULT! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!” He yelled.

I stepped back in shock, my mouth hanging open, and my tear ducts burning. His face went back to that expressionless mask, but I swear I sorry a twinge of pain, in his eyes. As he saw my reaction.

Then he was putting on his helmet and driving away.

I knew I was about to cry, so I took off running.

It was raining hard, and in my tear struck state I wasn’t paying attention. I missed all the turn offs, and was going the super long way home, the cold was starting to get to me, chill me to the bone, I cried harder, when I realised I didn’t even know where I was, and it was starting to get dark. I was scared, I wouldn’t even make it home.

Every corner I turned, just made me even more lost then I was before, desperation and fear made my stomach drop, as I gasped for air that didn’t come.

Then warm arms found me, pulling me into his chest Jacob held me fast.

I hugged him and cried, and cried as he kissed my head. Whispering that he loved me, that everything would be okay, I lifted my head to look at him, the water pouring down onto my face, and with all my strength I kissed him, allowing the fireworks to begin, and static bounce off our lips.

“NEVER LEAVE ME JAKE.”

He held me tighter.

“Que Quowle” He promised into our kiss.