Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Selene stumbled through the backdoor into the kitchen that night only to be blinded when someone harshly turned on the bright lights. “Cut the sun, man.”

"I'm going to kill you."

She recognized Ben's voice. "And why is that?" she leaned against the wall before she hit the floor; it was a mistake to drink that long island ice tea on top of everything else she had.

"You should've been back hours ago, lucky for you Scott called it a night and went to bed." Ben said in a hushed but angry voice, they had to be careful not to wake Scott up to avoid his questions.

"And why are you still awake?"

"Don't worry I don't care what you do, I just wanted a soda, I don’t have any and I saw you coming in. I covered for your ass; this doesn't make me look good either." Ben was so angry and he couldn’t figure out where it was coming from, he decided to brush the emotion aside.

"Stop bitching damn. For someone who doesn't care you sure are mad." Selene finally opened her eyes and saw he looked even angrier, his eyes blaze, then his tone had let on.

"I thought you were just going out for awhile, what did you do?"

"Nothing."

Ben smiled with no humor, he walked closer to her. "You need to lie better then that." He said while he closed the last two buttons on her top that she had forgotten.

"I didn't do anything." She pushed his hands away. "We drank and danced then we went outside but I left. I didn't sleep with him. Kissed him a few times but no sex with." She had no idea why she was explaining herself to him; maybe it was because she was drunk.

"Eww I don't want to know that." Ben made a face of disgust at the thought of Selene doing anything with anyone. "For someone who wanted to go to bed early you're smashed."

Selene laughed. "I so am!"

Ben clamped his hand over her mouth. "Shhh, if you wake Scott up he'll have a lot more questions then I did so quiet." There he was again helping her. So what if Scott busted her why should he care?

"Your hands smell good." she said once he let her go. "Like…lavender."

"A guy likes to smell nice too, come on." He led her upstairs to her room, only a few times did she trip. Once she was seated on the bed he left. Now he was out of it, she was safe in her room; whatever happened next wouldn't be his fault.

When Selene opened her eyes that morning she wanted a gun. She groaned but sat up, she couldn't be late again. She looked down in disgust; she was still wearing last night's clothing. She thought of last night, she had fun with Brandon but she picked the wrong night to go out. There was so much to be done today.

She was only nearly late, not fully late, to all her classes, so far so good. She dragged most of the day but she got her notes written down and heard most of what the teachers said.

"You look like death." Scott said when they met for lunch. "You ok?"

"Yeah I'm good."

"I didn't see you come home last night, what time you get in?"

Selene sighed. "Scott I love you and I'm glad we're friends but I don't have to report to you every second of the day." Most of her life since her parents had left had been spent worrying about how Scott would react. Their parents made a point of saying he was in charge but this was past crazy in her opinion. He was overprotective and that helped in the past but she was getting sick of it. she didn’t need nor want two fathers.

"I was just asking, down girl."

"I got in before midnight, happy?" Selene knew she was snapping at him but she was just in a bad mood period. "Where's your annoying ass friend?"

"Ben? He's at work."

"Oh yeah." She remembered and remembered bits and pieces of last night, she remembered seeing him but not what they talked about. She really needed to stop drinking.

After lunch Selene parted ways with her brother, there was still time before her next class and she remembered there was a book she needed to get. Kill two birds with one stone, Selene thought as she headed to the book store where Ben happened to work, she needed some answers from him.

She shopped around and grabbed the book for school and then some other books that caught her eye. It was money she didn't need to waste but the car would just have to wait longer or she'd have to get another job.

"My favorite not so favorite customer." Ben flatly said as he took her books and rang them up.

Selene looked around, no one was near. "We need to talk."

"About?"

"Last night, what the hell happened?"

Ben looked at her now. "What do you mean?"

"I remember seeing you when I got home but then everything goes blank." Selene hated to admit, she hated when there where holes her memory, drinking wasn’t worth it.

"You shouldn't drink if you can't handle it."

"Oh bite me and just tell me what happened."

"What do you want to know?" Ben asked, handing her the bag of books.

Selene handed him the money with a tinge of regret, it always hurt to part with money. "Just start from the beginning."

Ben sighed. "You came home hammered out of your mind. I helped you to your room and that was pretty much it."

Selene raked back the loose strands of hair that came out of her pony tail. "I had lunch with Scott, he doesn't know anything right?"

"No I covered for you. You looked so desperate when he came home so I caved and lied for you then it become about covering my ass. Scott will be mega pissed if he knew I helped you lie and get drunk and get groped by some guy." Ben said with the same tone of disgust he had last night at the thought of Selene with a man and Brandon no less, he didn’t get along with the guy and it bothered him to be lying to his best friend.

Selene smiled as she began to remember her time with Brandon. "Yeah last night was good."

"Gross, get out of here."